Latency problems

dan95

Hi Dmitry,

I am experiencing problems with the latency at my livestream with RadioBoss 6.2.4.2 in combination with StereoTool 9.92 (DSP-Plugin).

Sometimes the background music in the news f.e. play when the next track already starts.

Do you have recommendations what I can do? Main soundcard is set to no soundcard. I am streaming from a Windows Server 2022.

Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited:
Thanks and do you have recommendations how I can reduce buffer underruns with RadioBoss? I am working with no soundcard

Last edited:
Thanks and do you have recommendations how I can reduce buffer underruns with RadioBoss? I am working with no soundcard
RadioBOSS can't create buffer underrun. It's a result of network problems.

Ah ok, good to know.
Could this also be the cause for clicks and popping noises?
If there are network problems, anything is possible, playback will not be good. RadioBOSS itself doesn't introduce any clicks or weird noises, except when it's improperly configured e.g. playback buffer for sound device is too low, or something like this.

Ok, but since I use no soundcard, there is no possibility to configure a playback buffer, when I understood it correctly.

1686156672917.png

Ok, but since I use no soundcard, there is no possibility to configure a playback buffer, when I understood it correctly.
In this case, there's no buffer, so if you hear glitches, they come from somewhere else. Places to check: sound processing (any enabled DSPs, plugins), the music tracks themselves (maybe they are corrupted).

Ok, good to know. Thanks.
Places to check: sound processing (any enabled DSPs, plugins)
I only use StereoTool as DSP plug-in. Already checked that, also I optimized my Windows Server (CPU, Energyoptions, deactivated devices, WAN miniports, etc.).

LatencyMon still doesn't show good numbers :unsure: Can't figure out what else I can do. 🤷‍♂️

But I think it is better now - maybe you would like to hear a little bit from my stream and check it? Could send the link to you.

Last edited:
About the "latency", you should also note that the stream is buffered when it's played, so it'll be delayed by the buffer size for listeners.

Hi Dan, sorry I have been away for a bit The Latency you are experiencing might be StereoTool if you're driving it really hard on a less recent kit it eats CPU if you have everything on and minimal threads in your CPU there are some settings you can change to lesson this like configure the CPU threads to not beat the CPU up so much or remove the high level processing . I had this on my old equipment as we were driving it with all the bells There are some configuration screen for stereo tool

Yes, there are a few tricks to reduce the CPU - but I can't do them all, because the soundprocessing is essential and needs to be as good as possible. Here are my CPU settings in StereoTool:

1686267580969.png

However, I think the main reason for the popping sounds is indeed that something's wrong with the network. I'm on to that.

I now have more information about the Windows Server: It has a Red Hat VirtIO Ethernet Adapter Driver netkvm.sys.

Seems to be Linux / KVM. Is this ok for RadioBoss?

Microsoft Windows Profiler
Line #ConfigurationValue
3System ManufacturerRed Hat
4System Product NameKVM
5BIOS Date04/01/2014
6BIOS Version1.11.0-2.el7

Seems to be Linux / KVM. Is this ok for RadioBoss?
RadioBOSS doesn't directly interface with devices (virtual or real), it works with drivers, so I guess that's OK.

can you confirm that Windows vServer 2022 fits with RadioBoss?
Yes. RadioBOSS will not run on unsupported operating system. We use Windows Server, different versions, for RadioBOSS Cloud and it runs perfectly fine there.

Great to hear. I was a bit concerned first because it is a Kernel-based Virtual Machine as I learned :D

I am working in StereoTool btw now with 4 Cores - parallel Threads is now on 4 instead of 2 - Use subthread per channel enabled. The percentage of time in processing is now around 35 %. Seems to be okay in combination with RB.

Looks like the problem is with the crossfading: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/crossfades.htm
Music track is mixed over with news. You should create a file type for news (and other similar items) and use "Override previous track mix" option to prevent it being mixed with the preceding music track.
About this: I meant the playback track (background music) for news.

1686577249695.png

It stops playing after 1-2 secs the new track already started :/ But usually it should be fade out when the news end, am I right?

Yes, bed should fade out with the track itself - probably it's a bug and bed plays at the full volume. We'll check it, thank you for the details.

Back