Microphone delay fix

djsoft

Staff member
If your microphone is heard with a delay/latency in RadioBOSS, there are two possible solutions for this problem.

Option 1

Enable the "Output to encoders only" option in the Inputs settings: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/microphone___line-in.htm
This way, you won't hear yourself in the speakers/monitors. But listeners connecting to your station will hear you.

Option 2

Use ASIO to get rid of latency. ASIO should be set for both Playback (Main sound card and, if used, Monitor) https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/playback.htm and for Inputs: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/microphone___line-in.htm

If your device doesn't natively support ASIO, consider using ASIO4ALL: https://www.asio4all.org/

If your microphone is heard with a delay/latency in RadioBOSS, there are two possible solutions for this problem.

Option 1

Enable the "Output to encoders only" option in the Inputs settings: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/microphone___line-in.htm
This way, you won't hear yourself in the speakers/monitors. But listeners connecting to your station will hear you.

Option 2

Use ASIO to get rid of latency. ASIO should be set for both Playback (Main sound card and, if used, Monitor) https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/playback.htm and for Inputs: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/microphone___line-in.htm

If your device doesn't natively support ASIO, consider using ASIO4ALL: https://www.asio4all.org/
Okay, I'm stuck. I'm getting roughly a one-second delay between mic and headset/monitor. If I switch to direct to encoders, which is how we ran on our previous system, nothing comes over the air. I tried both options that we have for ASIO, but it stops broadcasting altogether.

Any suggestions on what I should try? I started to grab the ASIO4ALL that you suggested, but I don't see a download option for US, (unless those flags just indicated the language - ie; English being English language and not a country usage?)

Sorry for the confusion on my end.

Okay, I'm stuck. I'm getting roughly a one-second delay between mic and headset/monitor. If I switch to direct to encoders, which is how we ran on our previous system, nothing comes over the air. I tried both options that we have for ASIO, but it stops broadcasting altogether.

Any suggestions on what I should try? I started to grab the ASIO4ALL that you suggested, but I don't see a download option for US, (unless those flags just indicated the language - ie; English being English language and not a country usage?)

Sorry for the confusion on my end.
Never mind, I surprised myself by figuring it out!! Have a great day.

Never mind, I surprised myself by figuring it out!! Have a great day.
Well, the fix I used that I thought worked, didn't actually work once we went live from this studio [smh].

Can you think of anything I might do differently? If I send the mics straight to the encoder, they mics don't work in the stream. We still hear them in the headsets without echo, as we should, but the broadcast just drops the music drop level and without any mic overlay??? Weird, right? I'm guessing this is something simple.

Running mics through a Behringer X-32 Producer via a Focusrite2, (the Behringer software used to conflict with our old broadcast software, so we didn't set it up with the USB-direct-to-computer). We feed both directions with the Focusrite, sending output to a smaller board that feeds our monitor and headphone amps.

This setup was a necessity with the old system, but I'm guessing RadioBOSS wouldn't conflict with the Behringer software? I'm wondering if I run the USB between board and computer, eliminating the Focusrite and then feed my amps from the board output, that might kill the latency issue?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Very hard to do a morning drive show with your voice speaking back to you a second after you speak! (Felt like we were in a stadium!)

Uh Beringer, hmm can't say anything positive. You can download an app on Windows that ramps up the mike levels. 300% I cant find it presently as we sent Beringer units back and did windows upgrade .

Focusrite is where I have been directed but told not to be cheap :laughs and buy scarlet these are supposed to be better but has not done this yet am still researching it which scarlet do you have ?

Uh Beringer, hmm can't say anything positive. You can download an app on Windows that ramps up the mike levels. 300% I cant find it presently as we sent Beringer units back and did windows upgrade .

Focusrite is where I have been directed but told not to be cheap :laughs and buy scarlet these are supposed to be better but has not done this yet am still researching it which scarlet do you have ?
Using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 currently with existing problem. Looking for a way to eliminate the latency issue that I'm having with the Focusrite.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here?

I mean, a Focusrite Scarlett is just an A2D convertor, which isn't necessary if running directly from a digital board to the broadcast computer. We've only been using the Focusrite because of a software conflict with our prior broadcast software, but I'm having the latency issue because of an existing loop in the system while using the Focusrite. Plus, the Focusrite doesn't provide ASIO, whereas the digital board does, so I was hoping that eliminating the Focusrite and running directly from the board would cure the latency issue.

I think I'm lost as to what you are thinking on this.

I mean, it sounds like you're suggesting that I eliminate our 32-channel Behringer mixer and somehow just use our 2-channel Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but that's obviously not what you meant! lol. I guess I'm missing something! 😂

Well, we had two Beringer units on USB earlier last year. There were problems getting the correct drivers that personally We don't think in this case it was adequate. The only way we could use this was to ramp up my volume by 300% using the sound gain software above this was really not a good answer so they went back to supplier. We have avoided this as did not known what to do. Recently we spoke to a old sound engineer that felt this issue was with Beringer and laughed saying don't be so cheep Laughs. Well, he suggested Scarlet 18i 8 out 10 USB Audio Interface but have not got around to it because of Easter. It's a big upgrade for us :) I was interested what you had working? I am guessing you are having a similar problem to me that it's too cheap as the A2D is not being done by the Audio Interface in these cheap items under #200.00. This is what I gathered from the conversation but might have got it wrong.

Last edited:
Well, we had two Beringer units on USB earlier last year. There were problems getting the correct drivers that personally We don't think in this case it was adequate. The only way we could use this was to ramp up my volume by 300% using the sound gain software above this was really not a good answer so they went back to supplier. We have avoided this as did not known what to do. Recently we spoke to an old sound engineer that felt this issue was with Beringer and laughed saying don't be so cheep Laughs. Well, he suggested Scarlet 18i 8 out 10 USB Audio Interface but have not got around to it because of Easter. It's a big upgrade for us :) I was interested what you had working? I am guessing you are having a similar problem to me that it's too cheap as the A2D is not being done by the Audio Interface in these cheap items under #200.00. This is what I gathered from the conversation but might have got it wrong.
Yeah, we’re talking about two different things.

We’re using the FocusRite Scarlett, (we use two of them, in fact). The behringer we use is the x-32 Producer board. Definitely not cheap! 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
lol lovely desk :) maybe your bigger Beringer is ok, the ones I had was sub 200 :) and not going back to them the big FocusRite one is nearly 500 here so its a big purchase if it does not work. I know your small scarlets get power from USB is your Beringer outputs going into input of scarlet for A2D or does it have its own USB A2D connection: how fast is your PC or laptop how many cores, and are you running Thimeo Stereo Tool DSP which uses processor cores to process sound. I heard the Scarlet bundled apps don't like other DAW running from what i read.

lol lovely desk :) maybe your bigger Beringer is ok, the ones I had was sub 200 :) and not going back to them the big FocusRite one is nearly 500 here so its a big purchase if it does not work. I know your small scarlets get power from USB is your Beringer outputs going into input of scarlet for A2D or does it have its own USB A2D connection: how fast is your PC or laptop how many cores, and are you running Thimeo Stereo Tool DSP which uses processor cores to process sound. I heard the Scarlet bundled apps don't like other DAW running from what i read.
Fortunately, I was able to fix our latency issue this morning, (although I have no clue how I did it). Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I'm going to take the win and not question how I got it! (Sometimes you just have to mess with stuff and curse at it until it works!)

Thanks for your input, though.

Can you think of anything I might do differently? If I send the mics straight to the encoder, they mics don't work in the stream. We still hear them in the headsets without echo, as we should, but the broadcast just drops the music drop level and without any mic overlay??? Weird, right? I'm guessing this is something simple.
You have "Output to encoders only" enabled and this way you don't hear the MIC? Please note that in this case, in your headphones you will only see music level dropping, but no mic - it will only present in the stream where RadioBOSS broadcasts to and only in the case when you have set "Audio Mix" as a source not any of the Inputs: https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/broadcast.htm

Back