New episodes

Hi Dmitry

I am not sure which is the best method to achieve the following:  :P

I want to play news on the hour, with an intro and outro theme, then play a unique episode of a radio serial, introduced by a regular intro voice segment, then at the conclusion of the episode, revert to a default playlist.

So....

00:00:00 NEWS INTRO
00:00:10 NEWS
00:03:30 NEWS OUTRO
00:03:35 RADIO SERIAL INTRO VOICE
00:04:00 RADIO SERIAL (10 min)
00:14:00 Default Playlist

The NEWS is a standard file overwritten every hour; the SERIAL is a different episode every day played in order. I'm not sure whether to set this up as a scheduled playlist or tracklist, with the serials stored in a folder containing 52 episodes.  Also, what is the best way to fade out the default playlist prior to 00:00:00?  Run a 5 second blank file that fades out the previous track? 

Can I suggest that because this and similar events are such standard procedures for radio stations that various examples be posted to the HOW TO section or as updates to the manual?

Great program!

I think the best approach would be to create a playlist file with news, intros and where you use the Track List feature for the "Serial" part.

Example serial playlist, consisting of 5 items:
1. NEWS INTRO
2. NEWS
3. NEWS OUTRO
4. (Track List) RADIO SERIAL INTRO VOICE
5. RADIO SERIAL (10 min)

Save it to a file and schedule it to run when needed (if you want to run it at the top of selected/all hours, use the "Hours" option in the scheduler). You can read more about scheduler here: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/scheduling_playback.htm

You can use Track List for intro and outro parts as well if you have different variations of them - this will add diversity to how it all sounds.

The "Default playlist" part shouldn't be in that playlist due to how scheduler works in RadioBOSS: it inserts scheduled tracks to the playlist window, plays it, then removes and goes on with playing rest of the music tracks. The default playlist should be always loaded to the playlist window. You can update it automatically using scheduled event, e.g. generate new playlist from time to time.

All crossfading is performed automatically according to crossfade settings: http://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/crossfades.htm
No need to use blank files :)

Note that you can test how scheduled events work without waiting for them to start on time - use the Run Now button to start the event immediately.

Chris Deacon said:
Can I suggest that because this and similar events are such standard procedures for radio stations that various examples be posted to the HOW TO section or as updates to the manual?
Yes, you're right, we have that on our to-do list.

Regarding fade outs - how does that work for example at noon when a news playlist is launched instantly without waiting for the previous track to finish?  Does the music know there's an event starting at noon and so fades down before noon?  Thats why I thought I would need a blank file just before noon - so at about 5 sec before the hour, the blank 5 sec file kicks in, causing the music to start fading out.  That way there is no music over the top of the news intro....or am I wrong? :-\

Chris Deacon said:
how does that work for example at noon when a news playlist is launched instantly without waiting for the previous track to finish?
It simply fades out the currently playing track (according to "Fade Out" setting in the crossfades window) and starts the scheduled event (fading it in).

Chris Deacon said:
That way there is no music over the top of the news intro
There wouldn't be. You just schedule events to start when you need and RadioBOSS will take care of the rest (stop the music, apply fades, go back to the music after event finishes playing) etc.

If needed, you can make scheduled event play together with the music - use the Overlay playback option in the event window.

Back