No Microphone Signal

mcurran

Tried using voice archive, am not getting Mic input in the Wave window or through
headphones. Also tried using the stream archive feature, it records the music 
but not the voice.

Tried pressing Mic button, checking and unchecking Push Mic to Talkback.

Tried using ASIO 4 All, version 2 - setting different parameters, restarting numerous times.

No input.

Also please note I am using an external mixer, and feeding the mic signal from my mixer into the line
input of my sound card, thus bypassing using the RadioBOSS Mic function. 

From there I am trying to get the line input to send the mixed mic signal through RadioBOSS
so I can record announcements with the music, and get those two things mixed together (my voice
and the music) to archive together.)

I also tried just using the Voice Record function doing this and it does not get a signal.

I DO get a signal if I shut RadioBOSS down, so I know the mic is working through my
soundcard, I just seem to have something wrong and no amount of experimenting seems
to be able to locate the problem.

(It also makes it more difficult that the program has to be closed after making each change in
order for it to be heard!)

Stream Archive feature in RadioBOSS records only what RadioBOSS plays. It won't record line input signal unless you play the line.in in RB.

Does RB output connected to a mixer board too? If so, it's better to use a separate instance of RB (or use RadioLogger) to perform recording.

Like this:
RB-Music---\____ Mixer board ---> Soundcard Input ---> RB-Recording
Mix ---------/

RB-Recording instance will have one entry in the playlist - Line.In (which is set to use the input where mixer is connected to).

I did not want to "play" the line input in RB, but actually record the mic "live" while music is playing
'on the fly,' whilist using stream archive.

So, you are saying RB can only record with stream archive, the music only? No way to record the live voice too while music is playing, without actually making an entry for the microphone input within the playlist?

Then how would I record a show that is being broadcast live so that the voice announcing the songs that are playing (not pre-recorded , but live) will also be recorded by the archive feature? I can't just come in on the microphone when I want, it must be at predesignated points in the playlist? 

I actually am using two instances of RadioBOSS on two separate computers, one for broadcasting, and one as a production instance to record whole shows (music and voiceover) to play back later through the Broadcast machine.

But I'd also like to be able to jump into the stream live on the microphone on the broadcast machine while a show is broadcasting live (not archiving).

Yes, there are two separate application on two different machines, using two separate instances of RB.

I'd like to use the Line Input, not microphone input, if possible, since the mic signal is already being processed through the outboard mixer. 

(as a third standalone application, I am also unable to get the separate Voice Recording function to work, perhaps some problem with ASIO settings? There is no input to the Recording Voice) 

djsoft said:
Stream Archive feature in RadioBOSS records only what RadioBOSS plays. It won't record line input signal unless you play the line.in in RB.

Does RB output connected to a mixer board too? If so, it's better to use a separate instance of RB (or use RadioLogger) to perform recording.

Like this:
RB-Music---\____ Mixer board ---> Soundcard Input ---> RB-Recording
Mix ---------/

RB-Recording instance will have one entry in the playlist - Line.In (which is set to use the input where mixer is connected to).
If RB ReBroadcast that means that one LineIN is used. It is necesary to use another soundcard for LineIN wich takes Main Out from Mixer Board. Usualy Main Out is used for Live Broadcast.

It appears we are speaking two different languages? The questions I sent were not even addressed!

Let's take it a step at a time here.

First, could you please re-read each section of my inquiry, and address each line separately, please? In plain, easy to understand English?

:mad: 

@mcurran

Only here you can find answers about RB configurations, so be relax, Dmitry wants to help you. Myself too. I replied a comment at Dmitry's comment.

Usualy, RB records microphone too. Check your settings in Windows - Control Panel - Sound - Recording. The microphone must have checked "Listen to device" to your main soundcard (speakers maybe).

mcurran said:
So, you are saying RB can only record with stream archive, the music only? No way to record the live voice too while music is playing, without actually making an entry for the microphone input within the playlist?
Yes - if microphone is not processed by RadioBOSS, it won't be recorded. Stream Archive feature records only what's being played in RadioBOSS.

If you simply want to record everything what's being played in the system, consider using RadioLogger.

mcurran said:
Then how would I record a show that is being broadcast live so that the voice announcing the songs that are playing (not pre-recorded , but live) will also be recorded by the archive feature? I can't just come in on the microphone when I want, it must be at predesignated points in the playlist? 
The solution I posted above: http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg12730.html#msg12730
There you have two RB instances: one for music playback (the one you're running now), and another RB, installed to a different folder, its sole purpose is to use Stream Archive feature, where MIC (or Line.In) is always played.

mcurran said:
(as a third standalone application, I am also unable to get the separate Voice Recording function to work, perhaps some problem with ASIO settings? There is no input to the Recording Voice) 
Voice Track Recording uses the input you've selected for the MIC button.

I have a mic problem:
My listeners can hear me speaking, but on the record later there is only music.

flous said:
I have a mic problem:
Use Virtual Audio Cable, or a free solution VB-CABLE here : http://www.vb-cable.com
Here are the instructions : http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/VBCABLE_CaseStudy_XP.pdf

I tried it and works. But the best solution is a Mixer Board.
Total Recorder records mic too. BTW! Anoter solution is to record "Stereo Mix" : http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Tutorial_-_Recording_Computer_Playback_on_Windows

Check this too : http://www.avs4you.com/guides/How-to-record-audio-using-Stereo-Mix.aspx

flous said:
I have a mic problem:
How do you record? Are you using Stream Archive too?

pety said:
RadioLogger doesn't need StreroMix at all - it can capture sound card's playback and record it... The only limitation - this option is available on Windows Vista and newer OS'es.

From this conversation I'm starting to think that Stream Archive feature should be improved :)

While Broadcasting Live through RB, I'd like to take the music output of RB, run out of Sound Card
and into a Mixer. Into that mixer I already have a microphone plugged in where I am mixing
my live voice with the RB music output.

From that mixer I'd like to send the mixed signal (of RB music plus the mixer mic) back into RB
via the Line In, and that Line In would be the mixed signal of voice and music, broadcasting Live.

I'd be monitoring from the mixing board.

What would be the best settings for that, can RB do this?

Thanks!

@mcurran

I will use two soundcards in computer.
  • First soundcard for Main Soundcard of RB (in settings, Playback - Main Soundcard ....) - speakers.
  • Second soundcard for taking from Main OUT (mixer board) in LineIN signal for Live Broadcasting (INPUT - LineIN or LineIN2)
  • In RB - Broadcast settings - Source -Line.IN (that LineIN from second soundcard)
That is config wich I will use :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9jnfXrrA4

djsoft said:
flous said:
I have a mic problem:
How do you record? Are you using Stream Archive too?

Yes, I?m using the RadioBoss internal "Stream Archive".
In the last version when I used it, it only recorded the microphone without music. Now its only the music  ;D

I have only one soundcard.

If I take the output of RB playing the music, run into the mixer, run out of mixer with
mixed mic and music and into Line In of SOundcard, then use Broadcast setting in RB to
"Line 1".

In Settings, I am using Mic Input - No Device.

In Input 1, the only selection where I get no error is ASIO.

When I select ASIO, I get no sound.

I also tried to make a playlist with only Line Input entry and test microphone go into RB
but when I start broadcasting it says Unable to Play Error Code 5 (invalid handle).

if the only way to get my voice to broadcast out over the stream is to make a Line Input entry
in RB, can you explain what the settings are and how it is done?

flous said:
Yes, I?m using the RadioBoss internal "Stream Archive".
In the last version when I used it, it only recorded the microphone without music. Now its only the music  ;D
Do you have "Output to encoders only" option checked for the MIC button? There's a (not confirmed yet) bug: MIC is not recorded by the Stream Archive feature with this option turned on.

mcurran said:
I do not have a second soundcard, is there another solution?
If this sound card has unused input (linear or microphone) then you can use it.

mcurran said:
If I take the output of RB playing the music, run into the mixer, run out of mixer with
mixed mic and music and into Line In of SOundcard, then use Broadcast setting in RB to
"Line 1".
Yes, if Line 1 is configured properly, it will work - the mixer out will go to the encoders. It doesn't solve the problem with Stream Archive though - to record this stream you'll need to install another RB instance (or RadioLogger) and use it for recording.

mcurran said:
In Input 1, the only selection where I get no error is ASIO.

When I select ASIO, I get no sound.
Please tell me what the error message is. A screenshot of Settings->Inputs would also be helpful.

Back