Play a randomly selected subfolder sequentially

Maestro232

Hello,
I apologize if this question has been asked before. What I'd like to do is play a randomly selected folder (from a parent folder) through sequentially at an interval without resorting to playlists. For example, lets say I have a folder structure as follows:

/ Retro-Rock-Sequences
    / Sub-Sequence-1
          track1.mp3
          track2.mp3
          track3.mp3

/ Sub-Sequence-2
          trk01.mp3
          trk02.mp3

/ ...

My command will run at a scheduled day/time or interval and should grab a random sub-sequence-n folder from the Retro-Rock-Sequences folder and play the folder through in order (track1, track2, etc...). I'd like to do this without creating playlists because every time we add a new sub-sequence folder we will need to make a new playlist.

I am familiar with how to have the system grab a random track from a specific folder and play it. I essentially want to do the same thing except with a random sub-folder (played in order) from a specific parent folder. Any help is appreciated.

It's not possible to select a random subfolder, and I can't think of any alternative solutions using the existing features as most of them are designed to select individual tracks, not folders.

Using playlists is the way to do it.

Back