Problem ; Artist

nelson c

Dmitry,
They are giving us songs in which the collaborations separate the artists with;. The problem is that RB omits this character from the artist name.
Through the API we thought to replace this character automatically. The problem is that it doesn't show up. At first I thought it was a coding problem in the api, but then I realized that even the player doesn't show it.
1687146947687.png

Odd, but it's not received here, can you post it to file sharing service and give a link here (or using direct messages on the forums)?

The track has two "Artist" fields (please see the screenshot attached), when you open file properties in Windows, it will show both artists separated by semicolon - this semicolon does not present in the tag. RadioBOSS only reads the first Artist field, and ignores any other artist fields in the tag.

Attachments

• image_2023-08-25_223826112.png
    image_2023-08-25_223826112.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 77
Digital music services use tagging in this way. RB can offer the option to insert symbols between these multiple identical group tags when reading them.

Artist & Artist - Title
Artist & Artist & Artist & Artist & Artist - Title

Beyoncé & Shakira - Beautiful Liar

1693010047614.png
1693010810907.png

Last edited:
Hi Dmitry, that's a good point, :)
If an array of artists were returned from the api (Readtag), it would be very useful and could be modified as needed. Also it is not a good idea to merge the artist fields without any sign. Imagine that this, the way it works, complicates the artist repetition rules for example

Last edited:
RadioBOSS only reads the first Artist field,
According to what I see RadioBOSS does not do this, it joins all the artists separated by spaces, and this is not a good idea. (Readtag)

This is an issue that complicates our daily work quite a bit. I spend hours a week correcting tags for this reason.
Is there a quick solution?

Last edited:
According to what I see RadioBOSS does not do this, it joins all the artists separated by spaces, and this is not a good idea. (Readtag)
RadioBOSS doesn't do it explicitly - but maybe the tagging library we use does it. Can you please send on of the track for which it merges artists this way? It doesn't happen for the one you sent previously - it merely shows the first Artist field, ignoring all the rest.

Digital music services use tagging in this way. RB can offer the option to insert symbols between these multiple identical group tags when reading them.
I'm not sure if this meets any specifications. If I recall correctly, only one Artist field should be present and that's what RadioBOSS reads. All additional Artist fields are currently ignored.

Can you please send on of the track for which it merges artists this way? It doesn't happen for the one you sent previously - it merely shows the first Artist field, ignoring all the rest.
here does not do this, if it does winamp.
I use MySQL.
I also don't think omitting the rest of the artists is the right thing to do, especially because of the repetition rules.

1693227234978.png

RadioBOSS doesn't do it explicitly - but maybe the tagging library we use does it. Can you please send on of the track for which it merges artists this way? It doesn't happen for the one you sent previously - it merely shows the first Artist field, ignoring all the rest.

I'm not sure if this meets any specifications. If I recall correctly, only one Artist field should be present and that's what RadioBOSS reads. All additional Artist fields are currently ignored.

I sent you a visual example with multiple inputs for all fields without altering any labels. All components follow this structure. A piece might not be solely "Rock," as it can have multiple genres separated. The ordering of these inputs is crucial, as the initial input is considered the main entry, and additional artists and music genres are added subsequently. When performing an artist search, the database should add these artists and music genres separately. In cases with a single entry, multiple artists have to be recorded under one artist, which is not an appropriate usage.

As I mentioned earlier, when RadioBoss reads and broadcasts these tags, it should read two tags without altering their order and add a separator between them, such as "Artist & Artist" and "Genre, Genre." From what I've noticed in the latest version, when editing a tag in RadioBoss, it disrupts the original tag arrangement of the file. Using it in this manner not only affects RadioBoss but also disrupts the functioning of other applications. Different applications interpret separate tags individually, directing them to various albums of an artist. Based on my observation of the latest version, it appears that instead of having two distinct artists, two nonexistent artists are merged into a single name, creating a third artist entity, which severs the connection with the correct artist database.

Attachments

• tagRB.png
    tagRB.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 77
  • tag.png
    tag.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 70
I can provide an example of a track with more than two artists if needed. I have not altered the tags, and I have demonstrated their separation on Spotify as well.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 2b.png
    2b.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 71
What you say is very interesting and solves the typical dividers of artists.
Having x fields of artists and genres makes things much easier for Playlist Gen Pro for example.
Deezer works the same way.
I don't know if it's a standard, but it's a way to go.
I hope RB gradually tends to that, but in the meantime he needs a way to get this from playbackinfo, and concatenating without any "&" characters is not a good idea.

When editing using the "\\" separator in the tagging program, you can notice how the entries are distinctly saved. The main window of RadioBoss should operate in the same way. For instance, if a user has chosen the "_&_" separator for the artist section, the main window should treat the Artist section like this:

Rudimental & Ed Sheeran & B & C & D

When edited in this format, the file's tag should be saved separately, irrespective of the chosen separator. The separator is merely a program-specific preference and should not be saved in the file's tag. Saving the separator in the file's tag would disrupt tagging standards.

Attachments

• tagsys.png
    tagsys.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 67
Back