RadioLogger 2.5.0.1 - How do I record multiple audio streams ?

Hello Dimitry,

I am putting together a dedicated PC for our RadioLogger so that we can do several recordings at once.  One of the main tasks is to record our studio output AFTER our hardware audio compressor (APHEX Compellor 320A) so that our recorded audio levels are more consistent.

We have 3 requirements for recorded audio:

1. To have a 24 hour recording of everything we broadcast (can be done in MP3 format)
2. To have a separate recording of live presenter shows we wish to repeat later in the weekend (can be done in FLAC format)
3. To record specific shows that come to us via a satellite feed so they can be time shifted to another timeslot (can be done in FLAC format)

Items 1 & 2 come from the APHEX Compellor 320A audio compressor as a 600 ohm balanced audio input into the PCI soundcard (soundcard is:  M-Audio Audiophile 192)

Item 3 comes from a satellite receiver via RCA audio connections and does not go through an audio compressor.  We assume that the satellite provider has compressed the audio already.

The other benefit of having a dedicated RadioLogger PC is that it can run continuously without ever having to reboot - and that's pretty important to us.

What is the best way to set up RadioLogger to do this ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

I don't think there's anything special you should do. I'd recommend having this PC with no antivirus - as practise shows, everything works more stable when there's no antivirus.

Also then next RadioLogger update will have the "auto-restart on crash" feature, so you can leave it totally unattended.

Dmitry,

This sounds good.  A few questions:

1. Can RadioLogger support FLAC recording now ?

2. Since the audio into this PC will be from our hardware audio compressor (APHEX Compellor 320A), can we use this PC to run our Internet Stream, and which software should we use ?

3. To do the above, do we need to install 2 copies of RadioLogger (in separate folders) on this PC ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

1. It will support FLAC in the next update.

2. You can use RadioCaster to encode this stream.

3. You need a separate RadioLogger installation for each stream.

Dmitry,

Okay that sounds really good.  So this PC will be a new one and I'm setting it up especially for recording and streaming.  It will have a mini-ATA motherboard with 2 x PCI slots for the 600 ohm balanced sound cards (M-Audio Audiophile 192) and all the usual modern day things like a SAMSUNG SSD and heaps of RAM and an i5 CPU and some very quite fans ...

It will be a very important box for us in terms of preserving excellent audio quality for our repeat shows and the audio stream.

What we have decided to do is to keep the station logs in MP3 in acceptable quality and file size and keep those forever.  And with the FLACs - run that logger continuously and at the end of each month keep the shows we want and delete the unnecessary recordings.  That way we won't have to start and stop the logger and run the risk of breaking things.  Same with the satellite feed - record the lot and discard the unwanted content at the end of the month.

Make sense ?

Thanks for your help,  Jamie C.

Dmitry,

So is RadioCaster 2.2.0.0 a standalone Internet streaming package - much the same as what is already included in RadioBOSS ?

And I can see that to get the new feature - "User Accounts and Rights" (password protect software features with RadioBOSS Advanced only) - I will need to buy an upgrade to the Advanced version.

Is that correct ?

So I will have to buy the following:

2 x RadioBOSS Advanced Upgrades (one for Radio Dungog and one for me)

1 x Radiocaster (one for Radio Dungog)

Is that correct ?

Thanks,  Jamie C.

radiodungog said:
So is RadioCaster 2.2.0.0 a standalone Internet streaming package - much the same as what is already included in RadioBOSS ?

And I can see that to get the new feature - "User Accounts and Rights" (password protect software features with RadioBOSS Advanced only) - I will need to buy an upgrade to the Advanced version.

Is that correct ?
Yes, correct.

Dmitry,

I have two sessions of RadioLogger running now and that seems to work okay.

Does RadioLogger 2.6.0.0 support FLAC ?  The only options I can see are:  MP3, OGG and ACC+

We record our live special music shows so they can be rebroadcast on other days and nights of the week.  We use Audacity to edit out the adverts and news so we have a clean recording.  FLAC is the best format for us because it is lossless and a reasonable file size.

Audacity cannot edit WMA or ACC+

Thanks,  Jamie C.

The 2.6 version was released prior the time it was planned for as we had to fix bugs. FLAC support was not added there. For now, you can record in MP3 320kbps, this is really good quality.

Back