ReplayGain improper levels

mlmmn

I noticed some small loudness differences of replaygain normalized tracks when they're played through RadioBOSS or foobar2000. It seems to me that RadioBOSS somewhat adds approx. 1 dB to replaygain controlled tracks (well, it actually looks more complicated).

Honestly, I spent a bunch of time to calibrate our mixing console with audio interface to perfectly hit a 0 LU on Orban Loudness Meter (or -23 LUFS). Unfortunately, when tracks (containing RG info) are being played through RadioBOSS, it's not uncommon to see values 0.7-1.2 LU.

See, I tried to explain it to myself, that this is may be a hardware-related issue or that simply I did something wrong. Now, I have a proof that this is caused by RadioBOSS - see attached screenshots. Sure I can fine tune 'preamp for tracks with replaygain' from RadioBOSS's settings, but comparing peak values from RadioBOSS and f2k makes me feel like it's a bug.

FYI: measured track was Trick Me by Kelis. Its EBU R 128 compliant replaygain metadata (track gain) says that peak values should hit -13.49 dBFS. In RadioBOSS track was played 2 times (firstly through WASAPI, and secondly through DirectStreaming - both ended up with almost identical results). F2k utilized DirectStreaming. All values were measured with Orban Loudness Meter.
I also did a verification test: after removing RG info from track I attenuated its level by 13.5 dB in wave editor. It was played correctly in both applications.

Dmitry, may I ask you to inspect replaygain implementation?

Attachments

• radioboss peaks.PNG
    radioboss peaks.PNG
    94.4 KB · Views: 480
  • f2k peaks.PNG
    f2k peaks.PNG
    96.9 KB · Views: 512
  • radioboss loudness.PNG
    radioboss loudness.PNG
    93.9 KB · Views: 495
  • f2k loudness.PNG
    f2k loudness.PNG
    95.1 KB · Views: 511
Oh, one more thing. We use current version of RadioBOSS. I also remember that everything was fine in older version (5.1.x.x).

Absolutely not, the signal is as raw as hell. No autoamp, no fxs, no eq. Only ReplayGain.

Dmitry, mlmmm,

I've just downloaded and installed RadioBOSS 5.2.2 and the ReplayGain works great.  This is the best I've seen it in 4 years - and it's pushing the screen VU meter nice and high and also our hardware VU meters in the studio.

The config settings for ReplayGain are as follows:

> Settings > Options > Playback > Miscellaneous

ReplayGain:  Use Track Replay gain

Preamp for tracks with ReplayGain:  +6dB

Preamp for tracks w/o ReplayGain:  0dB

I've also switched on the AutoAmp AGC to fix the audio for songs without ReplayGain tags.  The settings I'm using are:

Target lev.  0.0dB
Quiet lev.  -20dB
Rate  0.05
Delay  1.0 sec
Enable pre-scanning (recommended)  Ticked

The levels are looking good.

Thanks,  Jamie C.

Back