Skype calls in RadioBOSS

I want RB to be able to work like just about every other software of its kind, web-based and otherwise. When people call in to a terrestrial radio show, they hear what is live on-air, whether it is the host speaking, or music/ads going out to the public. RB does not do this on its own (it should.) I want my call-in guests to be able to hear audio that I play when I have them muted from speaking live. I want them to hear what I hear, playing on the RB audio player. It is unprofessional to leave them in silence, and this really shouldn't be something that anyone needs to set up special sound settings to achieve. I know that my computer is not audio-friendly, but I have managed to get VAC to work using two cables. I'm using version 4.8.0.13, and acquired the license for that on an advertising agreement. If an upgrade is needed, I would be willing to do the same. But, since I have no guarantee that it would work for me, that's all I can do.

One of my newer producers is dealing with another brand of software, and he will be forwarding me information on it, so I can test it on my system within the next week or so. If I get RB to work, then I won't be switching, simply because I'm used to it. If not, then I'll have to use something else. Bottom line for me is that broadcasting/producing is just part of my job description, and one that I can't be devoting a huge amount of time to, outside of when I'm actively sending a stream out on the web.

All you wanna do is take skype and air it on your radio easy make the mic input in skype your mic and use VAC line in so all works together or use Voice Meeter so easy.

No. That is what I already do. My issue isn't with getting Skype to play through RB. My issue is with piping player output from RB over Skype, so everyone I have on-air can hear it.

You have set you inputs to VAC so go Settingss-->options-->Input once they're set your mic in RB and your set next time you click mic you will get all on air.

That's all done from your PC or VAC routing cause all RB does is inputs the sound to your main sound card then toy use back to run it, but you must turn up RB to hear the sound.

LHarrison said:
My issue isn't with inputs from Skype to RB. It is with the inability to route RB player sound to Skype.
It's actually possible with VAC:
Here's the setup (untested!)
1. Create additional virtual card in VAC - Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)
2. In RadioBOSS set the Line 2 audio card for Monitor Soundcard - this route RadioBOSS output to this card
3. In Skype select this Line 2 device as a device for Microphone.
4. Create Audio Repeater to route your microphone to Line 2
5. Adjust audio levels to make it sound as you want e.g. music is lower volume, mic higher.

In the result you'll have a mix of RadioBOSS playback and microphone in the Line 2 virtual card. This card is used in Skype as a microphone - therefore your listeners will hear music and your voice.

LHarrison said:
I want RB to be able to work like just about every other software of its kind
What other software does natively support Skype?

It has been working for me, with an echo of my own voice that I keep turned down during broadcast with the following settings:

Line 1 => Speakers
Line 1 => Line 2
Mic =>Line 2

MIC button:

DirectSound
Line 2

No monitor set

Skype output leads to Line 1

Theoretically, setting Skype Microphone to Line 2, and setting the Monitor Card to the same would make it possible for callers to hear the output from RB. But it will also lead to even more of a problem with echo. That is not a solution. Goal would be to kill all echo, of course!

As for other software, they are apparently starting to take advantage of what had previously been an exclusive plugin for Blog Talk Radio. Their system is garbage, of course, but they developed a "click to talk" Skype plugin that is integrated in their console, that works with the existing web-based browser application released by Skype for use by businesses with live voice chat customer service on their sites. That hadn't been in play previously for software like RB, presumably because of BTR cutting some sort of deal with Skype. Now that Skype has been doing a really good job at annoying broadcast and business customers by kicking call transfers to allow them to do like BTR does - call screening in an off-air production "room" - I'm guessing that they are throwing a bone out there by making it easier to do a "click to call" plugin for broadcast software. I'm not writing FAQ's for software developers anymore, so I haven't been keeping track of industry news like this. Just guessing that this is why I'm hearing about new software add-ons, and standardized settings (with or without VAC) for software like Nicecast and SamCast. On the marketing end, whichever broadcast software developer comes up with a free-standing piece of software that acts like BTR, but has high sound quality will win the market. That means integrating calling one way or another, and providing the producer with a call screening option that isn't on-air.

Now, I did say that I used to write FAQ's for software developers. That was primarily for communications software that was either for internal instant messaging in corporate computer networks, and html website building software (what WordPress eventually replaced, through the creation of content management and templates.) The problem I see here is that just on the communications end, RB doesn't seem to have a standardized set-up procedure for doing one of the primary uses of the software - broadcasting like a terrestrial radio station on the net. The company that manages to offer clear instructions on how to use their software to do exactly that will have the best marketing position. If it's integrated in the software itself or not doesn't really matter, as long as the way to do it is clear. Many things have changed over the years in computing, but one thing hasn't. The company with the "best" software doesn't always own the market. The company with the best instruction manual wins the day. I didn't work for the best software developers, but they always had near the top on sales because I wrote instructions that could be understood by someone who barely could manage how to figure out how to turn on a computer.

Dmitry, I'll test settings you offer with my guys, if you just put it just like I have it above - simple, and to the point. We hit the right one, I'll write the procedure for you to add to your manual, and either build a schematic graphic for it myself, or have one of my graphics guys do it. You have that, plus screen shots in a manual, and that should clarify things for the masses, covering both people that "get" things verbally and visually. I had to search the web, and consolidated instructions from two different videos to get the settings to work in the first place - one of the videos was for setting up SamCast, and was offered on Spreaker. The reviews for it indicated that it wasn't very clear (why I had to put it with something from somewhere else.) Spreaker's support will post instructions on how to use RB on their website, if I submit it to them. They also would love a video to go with it. They're working hard to pull in users that are dissatisfied with BTR, and they aren't investing in their web console for them. Their tech admits it's for "novice broadcasters." The people they care about use third-party software, they're soft-marketing SamCast and MIXXX (freebie that's not good for talk at all) for PC, and bluntly, if someone swooped in with easy to understand settings and instructions, they'd leave SamCast in the dust on marketing.

So, if you're up for settling this into a simple set of instructions, I'll be happy to help you get an instructional package together to get RB in the market on Spreaker. Just need to get the settings right first.  ;)

LHarrison
Yes, we'll work out a new, detailed instruction on how to setup RadioBOSS and Skype. We can discuss this by email if you like - please contact support@djsoft.net

Hey

everytime i use voicemetter, my sounds and music

goes to the right channel and left channel all the time

so how can i fix voicemetter so it will not do that anymore

thanks

bobby said:
Hey

thanks

You wanna use this in vst in, RB to fix your channels, Sleepy Time DSP Dual Panner http://sleepytimedsp.com/software/str-bundle/

Attachments

• DualPanner.png
    DualPanner.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,264
bobby said:

Make sure panning settings in Voicemeeter are correct - in the Virtual Input area there's a box with L/R/Front/Rear marks - make sure the orange dot is in the center (double click on a box if it's not).

djsoft said:
bobby said:

Make sure panning settings in Voicemeeter are correct - in the Virtual Input area there's a box with L/R/Front/Rear marks - make sure the orange dot is in the center (double click on a box if it's not).
Look here at my tutorial video i made for Voice Meeter and Radio Boss. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vv0ab_rb-tutorial_tech

WBGS-Founder said:
Look here at my tutorial video i made for Voice Meeter and Radio Boss. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1vv0ab_rb-tutorial_tech
Thanks for the tutorial!

djsoft said:
WBGS-Founder said:
Thanks for the tutorial!

No problem ill be doing more if needed but this should cover the issues people have I'll always try to do them in 1080p.

I'm finding now that the <SYSTEM> LINE INPUT is not being created automatically with the new version of RadioBOSS so this makes my most recent setup no good and the procedure may need to change.  I'm going back to the old version with repeaters.  Anybody got any ideas on this?

wutzthedeal said:
I'm finding now that the <SYSTEM> LINE INPUT is not being created automatically with the new version of RadioBOSS so this makes my most recent setup no good and the procedure may need to change.  I'm going back to the old version with repeaters.  Anybody got any ideas on this?
There were no changes regarding the line.in file. Can you please give more details on the issue? Also - what version you're using - is it RadioBOSS 5.2 beta?

5.1.3.0 I know that before, when you changed the input it created the entry into the playlist which I would then drag over to aux play.  Now nothing happens no matter what you select for input.

wutzthedeal said:
5.1.3.0 I know that before, when you changed the input it created the entry into the playlist which I would then drag over to aux play.  Now nothing happens no matter what you select for input.
To add an input to the playlist in the menu click Playlist -> Add Input 1 (or Add Input 2 depending on which input you would like to use).

Back