Windows 8.1/VAC/Skype 6.18.0.106

johngrant

Having enormous problems controlling levels concurrent with Skype and Windows 8.0 - 8.1 upgrade.  Skype controls USB mic levels and Line 1 VAC levels.  They never seem consistent when RB is set to mic of Line 1 VAC.  Skype calls generally too low and USB mic levels too hot.  I can't check levels until I click the mic button, so I can't adjust until I'm already on the air.

USB mic > VAC 1
Skype Speakers > VAC 1

VAC 1 is my mic input. 

Seems like I need to stop letting Skype set levels.  Never seems consistent from one RB session to another.

RadioBOSS does not change any levels - it uses the levels currently set in the system. The next version will allow using VST plugins for mic, probably it will help to automatically control levels. Currently you can try activating Compressor to avoid too high or too low levels.

I think Skype/Windows 8.1 are the culprits.  I've disabled letting the application control levels for all the recording and playback levels in Windows, and switched to DirectSound instead of WASAPI in RB.  Anything I should watch out for the latter?

johngrant said:
I think Skype/Windows 8.1 are the culprits.  I've disabled letting the application control levels for all the recording and playback levels in Windows, and switched to DirectSound instead of WASAPI in RB.  Anything I should watch out for the latter?
Under Windows 8 it's more efficient to use WASAPI.

Thanks.  I'm going to assume my disabling letting the applications take over and have exclusive access to  record/playback devices in Windows is why the situation seemed to stabilize.

johngrant said:
Thanks.  I'm going to assume my disabling letting the applications take over and have exclusive access to  record/playback devices in Windows is why the situation seemed to stabilize.
Exclusive mode could be an issue, but usually it's another issue: when one program captures sound device in Exclusive mode, other programs will be unable to use it at all.

The latest version of Skype (I was forced to upgrade) seems a lot less stable managing audio levels and wants to control more audio.  I've found I have to reset the VAC after connecting to skype, for one.

Back