• English
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Русский
Professional Radio Automation at a price you can afford.Professional Radio Automation at a price you can afford.
RadioBOSS box
RadioBOSS makes automating your broadcast to the world, your business or shop professional, simple, affordable, reliable.

Author Topic: Skype calls in RadioBOSS  (Read 100434 times)

wutzthedeal

Re: Skype calls in RadioBOSS
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 03:02:19 AM »
OHHHHH, I get it.  Ok, I actually have a bat file for that; so what I"ll be doing is running VAC: mic to 1, 1 to 3, 2 to 3, 2 to phones.  So then, I'd have to set up I think 3 for mic in on that third screenshot you showed.  Then, I get only the caller's audio coming in and I presume I'd still hear music/sound effects.  I'll try that and update.

UPDATE: Ok, tried 1, 2, and 3 for input with above setup, with both output to encoders only selection on and off, and anytime I can get my voice to broadcast, I hear it back through my phones.  I have not been able to broadcast my voice at all without mic button pressed, so I have not even tested calls.  In theory, if line 3 is my input, and it has MIC coming to it, and LINE TWO coming to it (if Skype/GV outputs to TWO) then I have my repeaters for LINE TWO to phones, shouldn't I only hear caller and presumably music/sound files?

UPDATE: seem to have it working but with drawbacks.  Changed repeater setup to: mic to 1, 2 to 1, 2 to headset, Google voice to Line 2, then set RB to Line 1 input.  Now, I can make/receive calls and broadcast, but cannot see mic input register on the meter which I rely on to make sure I haven't disconnected or something during shows (it still works with music and such, just not mic input).  So it's all working, no echo, but now no meter.  Ugh, better tho.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:01:19 PM by wutzthedeal »

djsoft

• Administrator
    • http://www.djsoft.net
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »
UPDATE: seem to have it working but with drawbacks.  Change repeater setup to: mic to 1, 2 to 1, 2 to headset, Google voice to Line 2, then set RB to Line 1 input.  Now, I can make/receive calls and broadcast, but cannot see mic input register on the meter which I rely on to make sure I haven't disconnected or something during shows (it still works with music and such, just not mic input).  So it's all working, no echo, but now now meter.  Ugh, better tho.
Yes, that's the known issue - the level for MIC is not displayed when "Output to encoders only" option is turned on. This will be addressed in one of the next updates.
Dmitry  •  DJSoft.Net Team  •  Email: support@djsoft.net

wutzthedeal

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
Ok thank you.  One further question; my beta key expires in January; do better testers get a "free" next version?

Also, what I said in my third update above is accurate for anyone using RadioBOSS and Skype (or Google Voice) in order to take/broadcast calls.  Again, here's what you do in condensed form:
Install VAC, set two cables, set up three MME repeaters by opening three instances of it; run Mic to Line 1, Line 2 to Line 1, then Line 2 to headset.  You should NOT be hearing your own voice echo, nor the caller their voice.

In Skype or Google Voice (or similar) Set input to mic and output to line 2.  I would advise unchecking any automatic adjustments within your voip program.

In RadioBOSS, go in and set input to Line 1.  Check the output to encoders only (I did this and I think it's required; will correct if wrong, but it works this way).  Don't tick push to talk if you plan on talking a lot; that would require you to hold the "mic" button down during your broadcast from the main screen.  Also, DON'T FORGET to turn on the mic by tapping that button on the main screen.  Since you won't be able to see your mic input bouncing up and down on a meter until the newer version of RB comes out, just download the free app Pin It, and pin the Mic to Line 1 repeater window open, which will "stay on top" and serve as a voice input meter so you know if there is a sudden problem.  Calls and music sound clean and crisp.  This looks like a really solid program. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:28:55 PM by wutzthedeal »

djsoft

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:06 AM »
wutzthedeal thanks for the update - I've added your instruction to the first post so others can see it.
Regarding the key, please contact sales@djsoft.net regarding this.

pety

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 05:05:04 AM »
Any link for "free app Pin It" ?
Thanks !

pety

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2013, 05:34:41 AM »
Another option to use Skype in RadioBOSS is Voicemeeter - Virtual Mixing Console in connection with VB - Audio Virtual Cable: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/index.htm [nofollow] and http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm [nofollow] .

The Manual for using Skype is here: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/Voicemeeter_UserManual.pdf [nofollow]

That is the best solution I discovered.  :)

bobby

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
Hey djsoft

this setup did not work for me at all

Install VAC, set two cables, set up three MME repeaters by opening three instances of it; run Mic to Line 1, Line 2 to Line 1, then Line 2 to headset.  You should NOT be hearing your own voice echo, nor the caller their voice.

In Skype or Google Voice (or similar) Set input to mic and output to line 2.  I would advise unchecking any automatic adjustments within your voip program.

In RadioBOSS, go in and set input to Line 1.  Check the output to encoders only (I did this and I think it's required; will correct if wrong, but it works this way).  Don't tick push to talk if you plan on talking a lot; that would require you to hold the "mic" button down during your broadcast from the main screen.  Also, DON'T FORGET to turn on the mic by tapping that button on the main screen.  Since you won't be able to see your mic input bouncing up and down on a meter until the newer version of RB comes out, just download the free app Pin It, and pin the Mic to Line 1 repeater window open, which will "stay on top" and serve as a voice input meter so you know if there is a sudden problem.  Calls and music sound clean and crisp.  This looks like a really solid program.

so can you help me please

by setting up some screenshots for this setup please

thanks
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:21:13 AM by bobby »

djsoft

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
this setup did not work for me at all
Could you please give more specifics on what doesn't work?

bobby

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
Hey djsoft

when i ran three 3 mme repeaters, by putting this input in Mic to Line 1, Line 2 to Line 1, then Line 2 to headset

my voice was really quiet and not that loud at all

so what am i doing wrong then

djsoft

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 01:57:36 AM »
my voice was really quiet and not that loud at all
You should check sound levels everywhere: in repeaters, in virtual and real sound cards. Does your mic sound OK without VAC?

bobby

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 03:46:43 AM »
Hey

Yes my mic sounds okay, when i only have 1 mme repeaters running at once

so does that other setup will not work for me then

djsoft

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 04:13:09 AM »
Yes my mic sounds okay, when i only have 1 mme repeaters running at once

so does that other setup will not work for me then
I doubt that repeaters can cause sound volume to be low... Check all the settings everywhere, also try using KS repeaters instead of MME.

wutzthedeal

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
Ok to address the last few posts:

I've had bad luck with VoiceMeeter, but that is another option.

Audio repeaters have nothing to do with levels of input or output; they are simply routing signals, not adjusting them.  To increase mic output, you need to either check your mic levels within sound properties (check the "levels" tab) and/or go into settings in RB, go to input and adjust the "mic amplifier."  Mine was low, too (not as a result of VAC) so I just bumped it up to 8db.  I also use the compressor and equalizer on the mic settings as well as the ones in overall settings to reduce hiss/increase bass to a more powerful level. 

The free pinning program is actually called "Desk Pins," and is here: http://deskpins.en.softonic.com/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:02:46 AM by wutzthedeal »

wutzthedeal

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
wutzthedeal thanks for the update - I've added your instruction to the first post so others can see it.
Regarding the key, please contact sales@djsoft.net regarding this.

You're very welcome; happy to help.  I didn't follow this thread so I was a bit late on responses but I'll be here to answer questions since I have become an (involuntary) expert with VAC/calls.

wutzthedeal

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:34 AM »
Major update for taking calls; alternative method that does not require repeaters.

If you already have your repeaters set up and all is working fine, and you don't have quality issues, just leave your setup the way it is.  But, if you want to simplify or you're having issues, this is the way to go.

1.  Install Virtual Audio Cables, and set at least one cable.  Default settings are fine.
2.  In RB, set "Input 1" Line in on the input settings tab to whichever line you set it to in VAC; in my case, and for this example, we'll be using a VAC cable I titled, "Line 2."  For you, it may be "Line 1" or whatever.
3.  Add a workzone if necessary by going to view/workzones/click the next higher number to give you a new workzone that will accept playlists, etc.  Inside the workzone, click the plus sign and add an "AUX PLAYLIST."
4.  As Dmitry said, when you set that "Input 1" to your VAC line, it will have added to your main playlist something like, "<SYSTEM> LINE INPUT" which you then just drag over to your newly created AUX PLAYLIST.  Leave the settings for play times at 0 so it plays infinitely.  Click PLAY (if you forget this, your calls will not come through nor your sound effects if you also use the following step I'm suggesting).
5.  Set your Cartwall OUT device on the playback tab to whatever line you set your Input 1 Line in setting to; this will make sure your sound effects sync to your voice; playing them through the main output for me put the sound effects out of sync (this may vary depending on your connection speed, buffers, host, and system/setup).
6.  Inside Skype or Google Voice, set input to MIC, disable automatic volume adjustment, and set output to the same line as your Input 1 Line in/Cartwall OUT are set to.
7.  If you want to test the setup before going on air, you can call in to your Google Voice number (or Skype if you have paid for a number), mute your on-air mic, and just talk through the phone.  You should hear what you say through the phone immediately with a tiny delay come back through your headphones, then you should hear it a few seconds later play back through your stream.  If you don't hear your phone voice playing back, you have something set up wrong, so re-read 1-6.  (Alternatively, if you don't have a skype number, you can make a test call in skype and you should hear the person who answers or the system voice come through your speakers if you are using Echo/Sound Test Service).

ADDENDUM (Ignore the following if it confuses you; just pay attention to the above).  The following were the major advantages I gained doing it this way:

1.  No repeaters are needed (VAC cable(s) or similar still is).
2.  You can separate caller's voice from your voice so your settings don't affect his/hers (in my case, my co-host skyped in and I had line 2 and mic going to line 1, so with skype set to line 2 and me setting mic input to line one, my mic eq/comp settings also applied to him, and he had a great mic with awesome bass already so it completely slammed him into a wall, just about to blow out my speakers, sounded terrible).
3.  If you are having sync issues with cartwall items, just set cartwall playback to whichever line you have set to aux input (I'm using VAC line 2, so my setup is aux input 1: line 2, and Cartwall playback: line 2).  For whatever reason, that will sync your sound effects to your voice so they aren't out of sync. 
4.  It got rid of most of my popping/crackling (I still have main buffer set to something like 333ms; setting it to 75 gave me issues). 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:57:04 AM by wutzthedeal »