Graphics

Chris Diack

Hello RadioBoss Team

Regarding 4.5.0.678 Beta, I offer these comments for your consideration.

First some compliments;

From a development perspective the automatic save feature for profile modifications is excellent.

The ability to disable various options including the progress bar is good.

Now some suggestions;

Regarding the graphical layout, may I propose that the progress bar be changed to show a graphical display of the total song duration the elapsed time, remaining time, song intro, and outro information.

The red section indicates the duration of the intro, the green is the duration so far, the yellow indicates the the remaining duration until the crossfade point, the blue shows the remaining time from the crossfade point to the actual end of the song.

With this sort of display there remains the question of what actual numeric information is superimposed over each section, or whether the duration and remaining times could or should be separate.

I have experimented with other graphics as you can see, and have added a "Just Played" section as well.

EDIT

Added another .png file

Chris in New Zealand

Attachments

• 4.5.0.678 screen 10.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 10.PNG
    82 KB · Views: 741
  • 4.5.0.678 screen 14.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 14.PNG
    73.5 KB · Views: 732
Hey RadioBoss Team!

I have been thinking along the same lines as Chris. Is there a way we could get some type of playback bar(s) which show the song in either a wave form or some way to distinguish where the intro ends and the lyrics begin to a song? I was thinking something along the lines of what you did for the track properties for each song, where you can set the intros, mixes, and outros. Something where you could have like 2 or 3 bars where you could drop a promo over the end of one song, insert a station promo and "hit the post" to the next song coming in. I know that's a feature in Dalet Radio Software, which traditional am/fm stations use. Maybe we could bring it to RadioBoss as well? Thanks for all the great work!

Kidd.

I've been experimenting again with graphics.

Just can't seem to help myself!

These are just thoughts to further promote discussion and perhaps help with development.

You will see that I have reduced the vertical spacing for the playlist at the right hand side of the screen to incorporate my oversize graphics (perhaps more ideal for touch screens which are fast becoming the norm for modern radio studios)

Perhaps I should mention that I prefer bold clear graphics, because graduated colours and light to medium greys are difficult to resolve.

I can speak from experience having used several radio automation systems in the most difficult of working environments, including Outside Broadcasts (or as Americans call them Remotes).

Again I wish to reiterate, using keyboard actions instead of mouse clicks in a busy broadcast environment is paramount IMHO.

And at the risk of ramming the point home, using the "Space" bar to start audio from a stopped position, and segue to the next track while audio is playing is most ideal, and is common on most useful automation systems.

I could name some of them but this is not the place to provide links to other developers software.

To reiterate:

The RED section indicates the duration of the intro, the GREEN is the duration so far, the YELLOW indicates the the remaining duration until the crossfade point, and the BLUE shows the remaining time from the crossfade point to the actual end of the song (which is somewhat irrelevant, but maybe useful when adding up total time duration for an hour as time should be taken from the crossfade point, not the end of the track... obviously).  As the audio plays, the vertical BLACK-WHITE-BLACK bar which intersects the green and yellow (or red and yellow) moves from left to right providing a visual indication of relative duration.

Chris in New Zealand

Attachments

• 4.5.0.678 screen 17.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 17.PNG
    75.5 KB · Views: 709
Well done Chris. I can see a lot of merit in your suggestions and think they are a very good basis of a change for the graphics. And the use of pictorials is excellent, its gives us a very clear idea of what you propose.

@Z100internet/Kidd.
I am a user of Dalet so know what you mean. Dalet uses a manual ducking/mixing/fading screen to ensure the music doesn't outperform the promo. Such an idea is perhaps a little early for Radioboss which I feel needs to concentrate on a lot of other areas of improvement first. Its also a very complicated piece of software to write. But its certainly worth putting on the Feature Requests for future use.
I am going to start Dalet and take a snapshot of what you are talking about to put up here on the forum.

Nows here a screen shot of Dalet Mix Editor.
The two songs "Angel of Harlem" (Blue) and "Fool Again" (Green) have a promo for Next FM (Red) inserted, mixed and faded to suit. This also shows an example of a good mix, with both a fade out and fade in being used. This same screen is also the one used for voice breaking.

Attachments

• dalet_screen.JPG
    dalet_screen.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 789
@DJSTU
Thank you for posting the picture. This is exactly what I am referring to. Possibly something that could help the development of RadioBoss for future updates.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Chris Diack Graphical representation of track is a very good option and of course we will include it in one of the next updates (very soon).

Why do you need the "Just played" bar? All played history is saved in the report, in the bottom left corner. You can even drag tracks from history back to playlist.

I also see that you removed visualization ("Just played" bar placed instead), interested what others think about it. Personally, I sometimes like to watch those bars jumping :) And, removing this will make UI look very "still".

z100internet I don't know if displaying a Wave form is possible in the "Now playing" bar, as decoding the whole file to get the wave form will require about 1-3 seconds. Of course, we can do it on background, and the wave form will be displayed couple of seconds after track start...

The crossfade/mix editor, I think it's a separate topic. Actually we already have exact request here, and we're preparing to include it. "Prepare" means: ability to save additional track info (like mix, fade points, etc) and edit this info. After some time the graphic editor like DJSTU posted here will be included in RadioBOSS.

djsoft said:
Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Chris Diack Graphical representation of track is a very good option and of course we will include it in one of the next updates (very soon).

Why do you need the "Just played" bar? All played history is saved in the report, in the bottom left corner. You can even drag tracks from history back to playlist.

Quote Edited

Regarding the idea of having a just played window in the position suggested is so a box the same size, font, and style is readily available with just the "Just played" item only being clearly displayed.

I should mention that it's only a suggestion but as the following screenshots indicate, it's very popular amongst most developers and users of radio automation software.

It is fair to say that the first pic is probably my favourite, and if it was actually put in the top of the playlist instead of additional to the playlist, that would be my preference.

I will endeavour to do a mockup of the ideal layout to give you more idea.

I'll post another 4 in another post, shortly.

Kind regards to you all.

Attachments

• Just Played 4.bmp
    205.7 KB · Views: 650
  • Just Played 3.bmp
    153.7 KB · Views: 667
  • Just Played 2.bmp
    199.4 KB · Views: 660
  • Just Played 1.bmp
    105.2 KB · Views: 669
I've changed my mind, and decided to give you a clearer indication of my suggestion.

In hindsight I've rather overdone the graphics a little...  borders and the like, but I hope you get the idea.

Kind regards

Chris in New Zealand

Attachments

• 4.5.0.678 screen 18.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 18.PNG
    77 KB · Views: 699
Chris - I really like the "Just Played 4" concept the best. I think this concept gives RadioBoss a very versatile role, whether you use the software for station automation, or broadcasting on-the-fly! Great work!

@Z100Internet... Thanks for the encouragement.

I've been playing around with my pet design again and while I have no expectation that this will be adopted or considered, I do enjoy graphic design and simplistic layout.

Here's another pic or three... or four...  The play graphic has been altered yet again!

Kind regards,

Chris in New Zealand

Attachments

• 4.5.0.678 screen 21 Stop After Track.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 21 Stop After Track.PNG
    71.4 KB · Views: 686
  • 4.5.0.678 screen 21 Crossfade.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 21 Crossfade.PNG
    71.3 KB · Views: 686
  • 4.5.0.678 screen 21 Stop.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 21 Stop.PNG
    71.4 KB · Views: 655
  • 4.5.0.678 screen 21 Play.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 21 Play.PNG
    72.9 KB · Views: 676
Hello!

Yes, I see many good ideas here:) As the main idea of RadioBOSS is to keep things simple, something will be changed in the next update of 4.5 version.

1) The "Control" section (play, stop, etc. buttons) will be changed (it wasn't changed for 6(!) years). There are 7 buttons now... While 4 buttons as on screenshots are enough. I'm not sure about "Pause" button - should we remove it? I never used it, but, maybe someone do need it?
Another question... Where are those big buttons from? Looks simple but very good :) And, those buttons have style. I'm thinking to cut it from those screenshot and insert into RadioBOSS.

2) The previous/now playing/next tracks... Why do we need to duplicate the same info in playlist and at the top of program's window? We don't have much space on screen, and it should be used wisely.

djsoft said:
Hello!

Yes, I see many good ideas here:) As the main idea of RadioBOSS is to keep things simple, something will be changed in the next update of 4.5 version.

1) The "Control" section (play, stop, etc. buttons) will be changed (it wasn't changed for 6(!) years). There are 7 buttons now... While 4 buttons as on screenshots are enough. I'm not sure about "Pause" button - should we remove it?  I never used it, but, maybe someone do need it?

There are two trains of thought that I have...

That is a "Production" environment where Pause, Fast Forward, Reverse, and Stop are (probably) all part of the production process.

Then there's the pure "On Air" environment, where Play, Stop after this event, Manual Crossfade to next event, and Emergency Stop are part of the "On Air" process.

In the strictest of "On Air" environments, the purists will argue, there is no place even for a drag and drop into, or remove item from a playlist... but your software as I see it develop, is aimed at the mid-range broadcaster, probably for the likes of myself who are endeavouring to champion the cause of a return to "Local Radio" where we adapt quickly to environmental changes and "on the spot decisions" to satisfy the needs and whims of the listener who wishes to interact with the radio broadcast/netcast presenter or live music presentation.

In my opinion the layout as an "On Air" layout is close to what I believe a reasonably competent broadcaster needs for satisfactory presentation.

Then there are the "fiddlers and less than serious persons" who just play around with software such as this and just like to mess around and then move on.

If anyone is serious about the task at hand as a beta assistant, or contributor towards deveolpment of a professional product, they will, I would hope spend many serious hours offering suggestions and researching lateral ideas, with the end result of seeing a saleable product being produced.

djsoft said:
Another question... Where are those big buttons from? Looks simple but very good :)
And, those buttons have style. I'm thinking to cut it from those screenshot and insert into RadioBOSS.

I made them myself, and am delighted to share my graphic endeavours with you.  All you need to do is ask... and perhaps come to an arrangement with the final product(s) :) (Lets talk)

djsoft said:
2) The previous/now playing/next tracks... Why do we need to duplicate the same info in playlist and at the top of program's window? We don't have much space on screen, and it should be used wisely.

You make a good point...  There are several trains of thought regarding this.

When all is said and done, leaving the coloured layout integrated into the playlist is probably my first choice... but again these are just an amalgam of ideas gleaned from using, or observing various Radio Automation systems over the years.

In the end, simple, clutterless windows for "On Air" are paramount, and the production or pre-preparation screen/window(s) are where you "tweak" things IMHO (in my humble opinion)

Lets see what others have to say...

Kind regards

Chris in New Zealand

...and, of course, another graphic representation of my thoughts

Attachments

• 4.5.0.678 screen 27 Play Temp.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 27 Play Temp.PNG
    72.9 KB · Views: 648
saucerfoot said:
Hey chris

can i test out your new design on radioboss please

These pictures are just that, pictures, and it's up to our beloved developer to decide whether to use them and offer the final product to everyone.

Why don't you experiment with some graphics yourself...

This would be an interesting task for you... contributing to RadioBoss's development in a positive way... yes?

Kind regards,

Chris in New Zealand

The renew of RadioBOSS UI will be started this week. Very soon there will be a release with new "elements" like Last played section, improved "now playing" and buttons.

If anyone has something to add it's a good time now, as it will affect the look of new RadioBOSS.

Another play with graphics...  this time a triple toggle for auto/live assist/manual control

1) Auto = Screen is locked and accidental key presses and mouse clicks are disabled except for hitting the auto button.

2) Live Assist = Pre-programmed stop sets can be programmed in at will...  EG; 2 songs then auto stop, then three commercial messages, then two more songs. then stop.

3) Manual = plays one playlist element, then always stops.

All three buttons occupy the same real estate, that is to say visualise that the buttons are actually just one button and change colour and mode, toggling from Auto, to Live Assist, to Manual, to Auto again.

The graphics a laid out just to illustrate the colours and format, such as it is.

Have modified the "time remaining" as well...  it took up valuable space previously.

I'd better make it clear that in my graphics below; in the multi colour "On Air" bar, the yellow bar decreases every second (of time) and the green bar correspondingly increases.

Just another random thought...!

Kind regards to all

Chris in New Zealand

Attachments

• 4.5.0.678 screen 30 Play Temp.PNG
    4.5.0.678 screen 30 Play Temp.PNG
    70.3 KB · Views: 631
Back