RadioBOSS cloud crashing with latest release

tking

New member
Hi,
Since last thursday/friday I believe my stream has been randomly crashing during the day. No new content has been uploaded since it was originally working fine for about 2 weeks.
On the logs page you can see an example of the issue here.. Users appear to be disconnected and if I try and play from the control panel page it ust plays a couple of seconds of the track it was stuck on in a loop. Hope you can help, thanks.

7:21:55 PM
Fynn Kliemann - Dunkelblau
7:25:03 PM
Relay deactivated
7:25:04 PM
Exit
8:25:05 PM
Started
8:25:06 PM
Relay activated
8:25:06 PM
Fynn Kliemann - Dunkelblau
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
The logs do not indicate any errors or crashes. It appears that the payer was restarted from within control panel (System - Restart player). Did you perform any restarts, or does someone has access to the control panel who can do it?
 

tking

New member
I have to restart the player in order that listeners can connect again... Can you explain the 1 hour gap between the relay being deactivated and reactivated?

This morning again the server was essentially down with no listeners (even though it appears to be functioning ok from the cp). This time I restarted the server (rather than the player) and immediately 25 or so listeners came back online (however this happens also if I just restart the player).

Thanks

8:30:04 AM
ATB, Conor Matthews, Laur - BODY 2 BODY
8:33:11 AM
Joel Adams - Fake Friends
8:35:59 AM
ILIRA - Whisper My Name
8:37:55 AM
Server connection closed (output 1) Restarting...
8:37:56 AM
Connected to server! (output 1)
8:39:16 AM
OMI, Felix Jaehn - Cheerleader - Felix Jaehn Remix Radio Edit
 

schulle4u

New member
Are you using external encoders? Last week I've had a similar issue with my additional encoders. Only one of them was actually broadcasting something, but the stream crashed from time to time. The only way to solve it was to disable and re-enable each encoder.
 

tking

New member
No, just using the standard cloud system to encode a mono 128kbps mp3 stream, with mp3 files being used as source files.
It worked fine for the first few weeks of me testing (26th Nov >) just since last thursday (I think) there has been issues.
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
tking said:
I have to restart the player in order that listeners can connect again... Can you explain the 1 hour gap between the relay being deactivated and reactivated?
It appears the problem is with the player or the restart process - when you initiated a restart, the player was closed ("Exit" in the log) and started only one hour later (the "Start" entry in the log).

I suggest not restarting the player, as it does not handle listener connections anyway - those are handled by the server, and this is appears to where the problem is.

tking said:
This morning again the server was essentially down with no listeners (even though it appears to be functioning ok from the cp).
This is really odd - have you tried connecting to your stream, does it work?

Please try switching the server version to use the KH version (from the settings), this is a different Icecast version that works better sometimes and likely to solve the problem you have.

Meanwhile we'll inspect the logs and do some tweaks to solve this problem. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Steffen Schultz said:
Only one of them was actually broadcasting something, but the stream crashed from time to time.
Can you please provide more information about crashing stream? If this happens often, I'd suggest switching to Icecast KH server type, there's a chance for the problem to be solved.
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
tking said:
Can you explain the 1 hour gap between the relay being deactivated and reactivated?
An update on this issue. As is turned out, there's actually no gap when restarting the player and relay, it's a time zone and logging issue - the first few log entries are written with server time zone and then (after player reads the time zone set for an account) it's written with the correct time zone.

As seen from the log, it shows 8:20, then 9:20 and then goes back to 8:21. The actual time between deactivated and activated relay is 3 seconds.

8:20:32 PM Relay deactivated
8:20:32 PM Exit
9:20:34 PM Started
9:20:35 PM Relay activated
9:20:35 PM benny blanco, Jesse, Swae Lee - Better To Lie (with Jesse & Swae Lee)
9:20:36 PM Connected to server! (output 1)
8:21:06 PM Zhavia Ward - Candlelight
8:24:11 PM Sigala & Fuse ODG & Sean Paul feat. Kent Jones - Feels Like Home
 

schulle4u

New member
djsoft said:
Steffen Schultz said:
Only one of them was actually broadcasting something, but the stream crashed from time to time.
Can you please provide more information about crashing stream? If this happens often, I'd suggest switching to Icecast KH server type, there's a chance for the problem to be solved.

I have 3 external encoders configured - mp3, ogg and Aacplus. A few days ago my uptime robot notified me of a short downtime, and I checked if the streams were OK. Ogg and aacplus were still offline, and the mp3 stream sounded like someone rapidly conecting and disconecting the source. On my external server I have configured a static file as fallback mountpoint to avoid listener loss, the audio jumped between RadioBoss Cloud and the fallback mountpoint. First I was assuming a problem with my own server and restarted it, but the problem persisted. So I disconnected all encoders in the RB Cloud and re-enabled them, all streams were back online as usual.
I however haven't checked the logs to find out what was going wrong this day, will have a closer look if this should occur again.

Steffen
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
Steffen Schultz said:
I however haven't checked the logs to find out what was going wrong this day, will have a closer look if this should occur again.
Did it happen only once, or this happens periodically?
 

schulle4u

New member
djsoft said:
Did it happen only once, or this happens periodically?

Only once I've been aware of. I'm not activily monitoring the stream every day, so there might have been some problems before.
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
Steffen Schultz said:
Only once I've been aware of. I'm not activily monitoring the stream every day, so there might have been some problems before.
Please let me know again if you see this happening again. By the way, did RB Cloud's own stream worked fine when this happened?
 

schulle4u

New member
djsoft said:
Please let me know again if you see this happening again. By the way, did RB Cloud's own stream worked fine when this happened?
Yes, RB Cloud worked normally using standard Icecast. That's why I first  searched for the issue on my own server.
 

tking

New member
djsoft said:
tking said:
Can you explain the 1 hour gap between the relay being deactivated and reactivated?
An update on this issue. As is turned out, there's actually no gap when restarting the player and relay, it's a time zone and logging issue - the first few log entries are written with server time zone and then (after player reads the time zone set for an account) it's written with the correct time zone.

As seen from the log, it shows 8:20, then 9:20 and then goes back to 8:21. The actual time between deactivated and activated relay is 3 seconds.

8:20:32 PM Relay deactivated
8:20:32 PM Exit
9:20:34 PM Started
9:20:35 PM Relay activated
9:20:35 PM benny blanco, Jesse, Swae Lee - Better To Lie (with Jesse & Swae Lee)
9:20:36 PM Connected to server! (output 1)
8:21:06 PM Zhavia Ward - Candlelight
8:24:11 PM Sigala & Fuse ODG & Sean Paul feat. Kent Jones - Feels Like Home

Yes, thanks I figured that out shortly after posting, makes sense.
djsoft said:
tking said:
I have to restart the player in order that listeners can connect again... Can you explain the 1 hour gap between the relay being deactivated and reactivated?
It appears the problem is with the player or the restart process - when you initiated a restart, the player was closed ("Exit" in the log) and started only one hour later (the "Start" entry in the log).

I suggest not restarting the player, as it does not handle listener connections anyway - those are handled by the server, and this is appears to where the problem is.

tking said:
This morning again the server was essentially down with no listeners (even though it appears to be functioning ok from the cp).
This is really odd - have you tried connecting to your stream, does it work?

Please try switching the server version to use the KH version (from the settings), this is a different Icecast version that works better sometimes and likely to solve the problem you have.

Meanwhile we'll inspect the logs and do some tweaks to solve this problem. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the advice, the KH version so far (72hrs or so) appears to be fine :)

 
Top