Final Stage EQ for Broadcasting?

mcurran

Are there any plugins or recommended settings for final stage radio broadcasting processing? (The stream that RB is broadcasting)

I notice my broadcast stream seems a bit weak compared to other streams, but if I boost the output I get a lot of distortion.

I've messed with the EQ a bit but I cannot seem to get that "Big Warm Radio" sound I hear on other streams...

my stream is at

http://www.rocketoldies106.com

If your final output is distorted, most likely it happens because of clipping - try lowering Gain value until level meter drops to about -3dB.

EQ may be not enough for processing. Depending on what you want to achieve, you can try StereoTool (http://www.stereotool.com).

I always use Compressor and AutoAmp (enhancer). It works like a light Audio Processor. Never clipping.

Attachments

• audio_processor.jpg
    audio_processor.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 1,102
hi to everybody,

is anyone using Breakaway Broadcast Processor as audio processor? just curios to hear opinions from others...

best regards, Paolo

I don't use it. For me Compressor and AutoAmp from RB is enough.
I looked on Breakaway Broadcast website and I think that the system requirements are too high:
Code:
Server-grade PC with solid state hard drive strongly recommended for on-air use.
CPU: Pentium 4 3.4 GHz CPU or faster. Intel Dual Core strongly recommended.

I know some people use Breakaway, but I'm not sure if they visit forums...

Their system requirements look high, but it may worth it :)

djsoft said:

If there is only one PC in Live and as James Totton said in one of his tutorial do not activate that features wich affect the performance of  PC. If use Voice Track in the same time with broadcasting and some other things the PC will be on 100% CPU.

For Radio Stations it is good (a must have) an Audio Processor Device.
PC (RadioBOSS) - Audio Processor (Compressor, Limiter, Enhancer etc., etc.) - Transmitter (OR Line.IN PC)

pety said:
djsoft said:

If there is only one PC in Live and as James Totton said in one of his tutorial do not activate that features wich affect the performance of  PC. If use Voice Track in the same time with broadcasting and some other things the PC will be on 100% CPU.
I think it's better to dedicate a separate PC for Breakaway processing.

Guys,

A community radio station I know of in Australia uses Breakaway software for their audio compressor limiter prior to the transmitter.  They use a dedicated PC to run Breakaway which is an i7 CPU, lots of RAM (8GB or 16GB, I've forgotten which), a SAMSUNG 840 Pro SSD and an ASIO compliant sound card with 600 ohm balanced audio inputs and outputs.  They say it works brilliantly with only a very small amount of latency - maybe 20-50 msec from what I can remember.

At Radio Dungog we use two units we bought:
1. APHEX Compellor 320A compressor
2. APHEX Dominator brick wall limiter

Both were bought on eBay.  These units are old but work exceptionally well without any complicated setup procedure and sound first class on air.  The advantage of using this sort of equipment after RadioBOSS and the studio mixing desk is that they sit there working day after day without any effort.  And because they are old technology people don't play with them.  :)

The combined purchase price of both units was 1/6 of the cost of a modern digital compressor limiter.  At that price we bought a spare set of units as a backup.

Jamie C.

Thanks Jamie. We use a Transmitter with Controller and Enhancer. It is old too, but works great.

Back