RadioBOSS 4.8 [beta]

Status
Not open for further replies.
pety said:
Dmitry

I did not participate too much at Beta RB bug discovery becouse my father was very ill.
My father died today.
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
djsoft said:
pety
I'm sorry to hear that too... :( Be strong.
I am sooo sorry to hear that. I am going through something similar myself.

Right - Windows 8 machine has arrive  8) Any reccomendations, do's or don't before I install RB?

Now where the hell is the control panel............... ???

Nothing special... just install it :)

Control panel can be opened from Explorer (press Win+E) or press Win+R, enter "control" and click Enter.

Or right click - show all apps !

I would assume that you would recommend to uninstall as many apps as I can?

Obviously looks strange to start with - like an iPad running windows 7  ;D

If there are 3rd party software installed, yes, remove it. I wouldn't recommend uninstalling software which came with Windows or disable services unless you're 100% sure what you're doing.

The UI of Win8 is not designed for desktops IMO... That's why I think keeping Win7 for now :)

There is a display issue in the left panel if you have set a higher than normal (>100% dpi) and increased the font size to say 12pt

See attached

Attachments

• RB5.PNG
    RB5.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 556
This one may be my fault  ???

If I set the Main Sound Card to NO DEVICE and set the Monitor Soundcard [WASAPI] (Realtek High Def....)

It sound terrible, break ups etc

Dave

dave-t said:
Right - Windows 8 machine has arrive  8) Any reccomendations, do's or don't before I install RB?

Now where the hell is the control panel............... ???

Dave, if you are not using a touch screen, you my find Start8 from Stardock a worth while addition. It only costs $4.99 and puts back what MS should not have left out of windows 8. I did beta testing of Start8 and find it to be very worth while.. Saves me a lot of time in trying to figure out how to do things with Win8.

More info here: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8

Other wise, from my own personal experience playing with the beta and MSDN releases, Win8 is very much the same as Win7, with a few performance improvements under the hood. I never had any problems with installing programs and was able to use Win7 drivers when required.

Casey

dave-t
Yes, it was already reported before - the next release will fix it.

Regarding Monitor sound card - you have to use Main card and then choose to use or not to use the Monitor one. I think program should prevent using monitor when Main device is not selected.

To night I made some changes to my setup.

For your info here what I changed:

Computer memory from 4GB to 8GB..
No gain here yet still running 32bit Vista - Win7 64 bit upgrade coming in the near future.

Changed transmitters...  whats special or different here is that this is a USB FM transmitter. (gov certified)
The audio & power for this unit are handled on USB. RadioBOSS is using it as the main soundcard.

So now I have 3 soundcards running on RadioBOSS..

FM transmitter - [WASAPI] 2- USB Audio
          Monitor - SoundMax Integrated Audio
          Preview - USB Audio Device

I was a bit concerned about how the microphone would work as it is still using SoundMax Integrated Audio soundcard.
The answer is it work just fine..

RadioBoss survived it all and is working fine!  :)

Casey

djsoft said:
dave-t
Yes, it was already reported before - the next release will fix it.

Regarding Monitor sound card - you have to use Main card and then choose to use or not to use the Monitor one. I think program should prevent using monitor when Main device is not selected.

I am assuming therefore that I have to add another sound card so that I can listen to track via the music library? I have simple USB sound cards lying around

Hi Casey

The main benefit of Win 8 to me is the "graphical" start menu. I am registered blind and find the large icons much easier than the old style start menu.

Now that I have have had a chance to work with Win8 I find it much easier and have added the control panel and other regularly used programs to the start menu. There are significant performance improvements which is always good.

Start8 does look good so maybe a worthwhile investment.

I was wondering one thing though - what is the smallest processor that RB can run on? I need to think about a back up machine at some point and was wondering if I could get away with an Atom based processor ? My station will be internet based with no presenter

Regards

Dave

Christian:
I am running RB beta 2 than 3 for days now without trouble, I just have be carefull with DTMF it sometime does not detect. Will install beta 4 later

DJSoft:
How often it's unable to detect a tone, and can it be reproduced (eg. it doesn't detect a particular mix)?
Here is the file http://db.tt/zMMuucv4

The issue is that it goes through strereo tools than broadcasted in mp3 at 320kb/s. I than use a second instance of RB (different Windows session) for ad management. It listen to the stream, detect the DTMF and replace by the apropriate audio and broadcast to Icecast to listeners without compression this time.

I use it that way as I expect to run more thant one RB for ad management and this way it only requires one instance of stereotool to save CPU.

Christian

dave-t said:
Hi Casey

The main benefit of Win 8 to me is the "graphical" start menu. I am registered blind and find the large icons much easier than the old style start menu.

Now that I have have had a chance to work with Win8 I find it much easier and have added the control panel and other regularly used programs to the start menu. There are significant performance improvements which is always good.

Start8 does look good so maybe a worthwhile investment.

I was wondering one thing though - what is the smallest processor that RB can run on? I need to think about a back up machine at some point and was wondering if I could get away with an Atom based processor ? My station will be internet based with no presenter

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave..

I understand..

A nice big touch screen maybe something for the future.. :)

I'd seen radio station setups running with touch screens... very cool.. (other than the finger prints) 
I wonder how well RB would adapt to touch screens.

Casey

First, I'm still operating in what I call the basic or simple mode. I have not had time to master playlists, yet.. :(

Here is a problem I have noticed, when working in what I call, operator assisted mode..
ie..  Auto mode but from time to time I may use [right click] on song in play list and select [Play next]..

Doing this can cause the Scheduler to missing events

Setup

Running with the Shuffle button engaged, aprox 1100 songs in the list.

When I manually select a song to play next...

- RadioBOSS inserts the scheduled tracks in the playlist (after the current playing track).

- The current song finishes and RadioBOSS skips to the next song you have selected.

- The scheduled track are not played

- These scheduled tracks remain in the play list.

Can RB be made to finish playing the scheduled tracks, before playing the next track selected?

Casey

Casey said:
I'd seen radio station setups running with touch screens... very cool.. (other than the finger prints) 
I wonder how well RB would adapt to touch screens.

Casey

If someone wants to send me one I will try it  ;D

There are a couple of touch screen systems out there - quite expensive though - ok for a large FM station but way over the top for an internet station.

RB has made significant improves and is now very "accessible" for which I would like to thanks the developers. (just needs nice bright control buttons to polish it off  ;) )

Regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back