RadioBOSS 5.2 Prelisten Issue

bostonfreeradio

We've just started having an issue with the Prelisten feature on our broadcast machine.

No matter which soundcard is selected for the PFL channel, it opens the prelisten window momentarily and then closes.

If "no soundcard" is selected, it prompts to open the settings panel to select a PFL soundcard.

bostonfreeradio said:
We've just started having an issue with the Prelisten feature on our broadcast machine.

No matter which soundcard is selected for the PFL channel, it opens the prelisten window momentarily and then closes.

If "no soundcard" is selected, it prompts to open the settings panel to select a PFL soundcard.
Please select the DirectSound option for sound card, it should work.

DirectSound is the only option. I've tried all variations including:
*using the same card that the MAIN channel uses.
*setting the MAIN channel to WASAPI
*setting the MAIN channel to exclusive mode

bostonfreeradio said:
DirectSound is the only option. I've tried all variations including:
*using the same card that the MAIN channel uses.
*setting the MAIN channel to WASAPI
*setting the MAIN channel to exclusive mode
If you use the same sound card for main output and prelisten, then neither of them have to initialize the card in exclusive mode.

Perhaps it's a bug in RadioBOSS 5.2, it doesn't work with your configuration for some reason. You can consider updating to the latest version (RadioBOSS 5.4 coming soon).

It's worked historically-- is there anything else we can do to troubleshoot?

The behavior exists with 5.3.3 trial, and with an (old) copy of our config.

Does the prelisten keep a log?

Still persists in 5.4.0.6  ???

Updated Realtek Audio drivers,  disabled "Enhancements", disabled all other soundcards. Main card works fine, prelisten window queues up and then disappears. I've even tried changing the visual styles in case it's a video issue.

Procmon rabbit hole next... Please save the day!

Please try doing a fresh installation to another folder, check if prelisted works from there.

Thanks, I'll try that one next.

Meanwhile I saw some reference here in the procmon trace. IIRC it was a reg read SUCCESS, but this might be a clue.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\DirectSound\Application Compatibility\RADIOBOSS.EXE56812489005BFA58\

I stand corrected...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 8.36.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 8.36.28 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 356
Installing to it's own directory allowed for the PreListen channel to work.

Should I do a file compare to all of the INIs in the settings directory? Seems a bit tedious. Would appreciate any input.

You can compare settings files - sound card settings are in the system.ini file in the settings folder (click Settings->Open Settings Folder). But I think the problem is elsewhere, as when you change the prelisten device, it will overwrite the old setting. I'm not sure why it doesn't work from your old folder, it's the first time anything like this was reported.

As you said, it worked fine before, and then stopped. You should review any changes you've made to the system recently (new software installations, settings changes), it seems that some of the changes created this problem.

Back