RadioBOSS 5.9 [beta]

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
jpp said:
Clearly you don't do playlists, or if you do you don't give much attention to it.
We do playlists, but you want to do them a different way and do not want to explore the options that exist in the software.

For your task, priortity rules for playlist generator look like a good solution, I suggest you to try it. To have more tracks with low playcount in the playlist, you can use the following rules:
- Increase priority for tracks with Playcount = 0
- Increase priority for tracks with Playcount less than AVG
- Decrease priority for tracks with Playcount more than AVG
In the result, it will have much more "less played tracks" than other tracks, the proportion will be around 70% less played tracks, 30% other tracks.
Pay attention to repeat protection rules. Do not make them too strict, as this does not allow enough fredom to create a good playlist (e.g. it tries to insert a track with playcount=0, but recently another track from this artist was played, and it will have to choose something else).

jpp said:
Besides it fails to work and give the best rotation, why do i have to generate playlists
You can use the Track List feature to create simple playlists that follow the structure and utilize basic repeat protection rules. But if you need more options, playlist generator offers them.

jpp said:
It doesn't pick a 0 playcount song, it picks one beetween 0 and 1 or 2 or 3... Is this what you mean it exists???
Selecting tracks with exactly 0 playcount looks like a very specific task. Originally you were asking how to select "less played songs" - this is a more generic task, and this is possible.

jpp said:
with a generated playlist, if you want to change anything you have to delete and generate another
Not true. You can create a playlist and edit it after that - the resulting playlist is just like any other playlist, you're free to do anything with it. You can also create playlists in advance, save them to a file and then edit/play them when needed. I really suggest to invest some time to get familiar with playlist generator.
 

pety

Active member
Dmitri, this url does not work:

https://ivm.antenaplay.ro/liveaudio/radiozu/playlist.m3u8

But Daum Poplayer, BSplayer etc., plays it.

It looks that they stream with Z/IPStream R/2 Multi-Channel Streaming Encoder

So, is it necessary a new type of decoder?
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
I think a similar issue was discussed recently: https://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,6348.msg30404.html#msg30404
 

pety

Active member
djsoft said:
I think a similar issue was discussed recently: https://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,6348.msg30404.html#msg30404
Yes, indeed ! Thanks a lot !
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
- Increase priority for tracks with Playcount = 0
- Increase priority for tracks with Playcount less than AVG
- Decrease priority for tracks with Playcount more than AVG

1st option doesn't exist on my version 5.8.2 (i didn't updated because what i asked for doesn't exist)
The other ones i use them but still continue to have songs with 0 playcounts being left. It could be general rules separation but i check and there are no conflits.
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
you want to do them a different way and do not want to explore the options that exist in the software.

Really???
Is there any other ways to make playlist?
Looks like i explored, i experienced and got the result and it doesn't work.
I don't just do playlists, i check them, so don't tell me i don't explore.
I spent hours on it... doing and re-doing playlists, and checking each one.

If there was one way that works, would i be missing my time here?

Anyway, the way each one finds better to have a better rotation should be taken in consideration and not criticized.
What i wrote it's true. And i should be abble to choose what fits my rotation better. And with the results of what i explored and experienced i found the "track option" more reliable than "generated" because it fails to respect rules on songs that are on playlist but not played yet... I tested it several times and several times i got songs on cue being included in the next hour.
So it's not a question of exploring, it's a question of not having the results i want.
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
Selecting tracks with exactly 0 playcount looks like a very specific task. Originally you were asking how to select "less played songs" - this is a more generic task, and this is possible.

The logic is less playcounts... 0 is less than 1.
So it should start looking for 0 counts, if none found look for 1 counts, if not look for 2... and so on and son.
This logic doesn't exist in your programming.
Once again, it's not that i don't explore and you have to put yourself as a user.

Just to let you know. As a day to day professional I work with RCS Sound Software. I work in Radio for several years.
I just use RadioBoss for my personal project and i don't it to take me the time i already spend on my work hours. So using the basics it's an option... a choice, and you shouldn't criticize no one for their options/choices, especially if you don't know that person.
I may express my ideas sometimes, but english is not my 1st language... another thing you might take on consideration with people who tries to expose their problems/ideas.
 

jpp

Member
see for yourself:

19:36 Flo Rida - Whistle
19:31 ABBA - Chiquitita
19:26 Tina Turner - Addicted to Love
19:23 Four Tops - Reach Out, I'll Be There
19:18 Jackson Browne - For America
19:13 Phil Collins - Another Day in Paradise
19:09 Kurt Nilsen - On My Mind
19:06 Outkast - Ms. Jackson
19:02 Prefab Sprout - When Love Breaks Down
18:57 Tina Turner - I'll Be Thunder
18:53 Swing Out Sister - Surrender
18:50 No Doubt - Hey Baby (w/Bounty Killer)

My event to generate a playlist is: HOUR.50
The event to star the generated playlist is HOUR.00
Between 50m and 00m, while being generated these 10m gap is like empyty, because it doesn't assume tracks that weren't played yet. Got checked the boxes for "songs in cue" and "read files". This doesn't happen with the "track list". So yes it's more reliable, so Yes i prefer it.
But this is even other problem, than the one i started with.
Sorry not to explore...  ::)

another example, and this one is exactly the same song:
23:03 Billy Idol - Mony Mony
22:59 Wham - I'm Your Man
22:53 Aftershock - Slave to the Vibe
22:48 Adventures - Broken Land
22:44 Maggie Reilly - Everytime We Touch
22:40 LeAnn Rimes - How Do I Live
22:37 Real Thing - You to Me Are Everything
22:33 Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
22:31 Bazzi - Mine
22:27 Beatles - Ticket to Ride
22:24 George Benson - Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You
22:20 Prince - Kiss
22:16 Sophie B Hawkins - Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover
22:12 Olivia Newton-John - Physical
22:09 Stefy - Chelsea
22:05 Rihanna - SOS (Rescue Me)
22:03 Bad Manners - Can Can
22:00 Bob Marley & The Wailers - Waiting in Vain
21:49 Aftershock - Slave to the Vibe
21:46 Monroes - Sunday People

---------------------

02:17 Bluebells - Young at Heart
02:12 George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
02:08 James - We're Going to Miss You
02:04 Christina Aguilera - Ain't No other Man
02:01 Four Tops - It's the same Old Song
01:57 Girls Aloud - Jump
01:54 George Harrison - When We Was Fab
01:50 Simon & Garfunkel - America

-------------------------------------

10:09 Bangles - Let It Go
10:05 Joe Cocker - Up Where We Belong
10:02 Four Tops - Loco in Acapulco
09:58 Joe Cocker - Edge of a Dream
09:55 Elvis Costello - A Good Year for the Roses
09:52 Industry - State of the Nation

---------------------------------

14:56 Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time
14:53 Warren G - Prince Igor
14:51 Julian Lennon - Saltwater
14:40 U2 - One
14:39 Troggs - With a Girl Like You
14:28 Wet Wet Wet - Love Is all Around
14:24 Santana - Evil Ways
14:23 Kelly Clarkson - Because of You
14:12 Fray - You Found Me
13:59 Detroit Spinners - Working My Way Back to You
13:55 Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
13:51 Warren G - Prince Igor
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
jpp said:
1st option doesn't exist on my version 5.8.2 (i didn't updated because what i asked for doesn't exist)
It's there: open Category, Priority, add rule. Please see the screenshot.
 

Attachments

  • priority.png
    priority.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 222

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
jpp said:
Anyway, the way each one finds better to have a better rotation should be taken in consideration and not criticized.
It's absolutely taken into consideration, and my conclusion is that the feature you seek, it already exists in the software.

jpp said:
The logic is less playcounts... 0 is less than 1.
So it should start looking for 0 counts, if none found look for 1 counts, if not look for 2... and so on and son.
This logic doesn't exist in your programming.
Sorting by playcount, yes, it does not exist, but currently I see it as a too situation-specific feature and I'm not sure it has to be added to the software at this moment.

jpp said:
Between 50m and 00m, while being generated these 10m gap is like empyty, because it doesn't assume tracks that weren't played yet
For such case, you can create all playlists in advance, in one go, this way all of them will share the same repeat protection buffer. To do so, use the "arrow" button near the "Generate" button, specify all presets that you need, and then click "Create event" to create an event in RadioBOSS.
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
Sorting by playcount, yes, it does not exist, but currently I see it as a too situation-specific feature and I'm not sure it has to be added to the software at this moment.

So don't tell me it exists, because it's completely different than the logic you have. Using the priority rules i still continue to have 0 counts songs waiting to be on a generated playlist.
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
For such case, you can create all playlists in advance, in one go, this way all of them will share the same repeat protection buffer. To do so, use the "arrow" button near the "Generate" button, specify all presets that you need, and then click "Create event" to create an event in RadioBOSS.

How about using the "track list" with a box that allow you to "Use all options defined on the playlist generator".
Is this possible?
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
It's there: open Category, Priority, add rule. Please see the screenshot.

What i use is "If counts is less than 1 increase priority to 100".
Still i continue with 0 counts tracks (with no conflits)
But for what i want i'll have to make hundreds of priorities, because when playcount gets to 1 the rule doesn't apply anymore... so make another rule:
"If counts is less than 2 increase priority to 100", but no i cant use 100 because is i do, 0 and 1 will have the same chances... ok, change then:
"If counts is less than 2 increase priority to 90".
another one:
If counts is less than 3 increase priority to 80".
another:
If counts is less than 4 increase priority to 70".
another
If counts is less than 5 increase priority to 60".
another;
If counts is less than 6 increase priority to 50". But ooppss, these songs with 6 counts are going to be just like all other that have playcounts with 6 or more because by default all songs are priority 50.

How simple would be if a software do the job with the command to start in 0 and goes up in playcounts?

 

southernfm

Member
jpp said:
How simple would be if a software do the job with the command to start in 0 and goes up in playcounts?

Your use case is very specific. I'd suggest finding a different program which does the sorting function you're after, and import it into RadioBOSS via API commands.

The Scheduler commands are here:
https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/index.html?scheduler_commands.htm

Remote control API is here:
https://manual.djsoft.net/radioboss/en/index.html?remote_controlapi.htm
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
jpp said:
So don't tell me it exists, because it's completely different than the logic you have. Using the priority rules i still continue to have 0 counts songs waiting to be on a generated playlist.
Yes, this is true. However, with priority rules, you will have much more less played songs in the playlist.

jpp said:
How about using the "track list" with a box that allow you to "Use all options defined on the playlist generator".
Is this possible?
Currently it's not really possible doe to a way Track List works - it does not have any track information so it can't extract tracks with "Playcount=0" and perform other advanced filtering Playlist Generator does. This is because Track List has to be fast as it operates in real time, while Playlist Generator can take all the time it need to filter and select tracks. We have plans on improving the Track List to add more filters and features there, as the feature is no doubt useful and have to be improved.

jpp said:
What i use is "If counts is less than 1 increase priority to 100".
Still i continue with 0 counts tracks (with no conflits)
Yes, this should work too. Please note that a priority can't be higher than 100. So 100+50+40+... will still be capped at 100. Increasing priority is one thing, please consider decreasing priority for teacks that you less want to be in the playlist.

jpp said:
How simple would be if a software do the job with the command to start in 0 and goes up in playcounts?
It will be simpler for what you want to achieve, but the thing is that the problem you have appears to be too situation-specific, therefore we don't have a ready solution for you.
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
southernfm said:
Your use case is very specific. I'd suggest finding a different program which does the sorting function you're after, and import it into RadioBOSS via API commands.
Loading playlists created somewhere else does not require API to be used. 3rd party software (or a script) can simply save .m3u8 (or .m3u) files and RadioBOSS can load them using a scheduled event. This is a typical use case when one needs some specific track selection.
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
please consider decreasing priority for teacks that you less want to be in the playlist

I've already done that
"if counts is more than AVG decrease priority to 0"
but New Songs (0 playcounts stiil continue to be left outside in the generator
Question:
Could it be that "zero" in programming is considered "null" and not a number and it doesn't take the value in consideration?
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
Track List has to be fast as it operates in real time, while Playlist Generator can take all the time it need to filter and select tracks

Remember that Track List only do 1 item at a time, so it won't take longer as Generator. Besides with this logic it only has 1 more command to do (playcounts)... If it starts to list first 0 playcounts songs, then the rest already exists (artist/title/album separations). Instead of random, do it by playcounts from lowest to highest. How can this be so complicated?

I do it manually with no difficulties... if i do it, i'm sure a software do it too...
What i do everyday when i get home from my work is:
- pick a folder with the new songs
- grab it to an empyty playlist in the player
- look for the lowest playcounts
- pick one and check if the artist has been selected in the past 3 hours
- if not, i got the one

(by the way, it would be usefull if in the player i could list by any field in it. When i put a folder the songs are listed alphabetically by artist, but if i want to list by title it's not possible... or by playcounts or last time played, or any other field displayed)
 

djsoft

Well-known member
Staff member
jpp said:
"if counts is more than AVG decrease priority to 0"
The rules define the amount to change the priority. "Decrease by 0" means do not change priority, e.g. 50 - 0 = 50. You should set some number e.g. 30.

jpp said:
Remember that Track List only do 1 item at a time, so it won't take longer as Generator
The longest task is to load the music list, and that is what currently Track Tool doesn't do. It requires sertious changes before it can utilize complex rules like Playlist Generator has.

jpp said:
(by the way, it would be usefull if in the player i could list by any field in it. When i put a folder the songs are listed alphabetically by artist, but if i want to list by title it's not possible... or by playcounts or last time played, or any other field displayed)
You can enable playlist sorting in Settings->General and enable the Playcount column from View->Playlist Columns.
 

jpp

Member
djsoft said:
I see it as a too situation-specific feature and I'm not sure it has to be added to the software at this moment.

If you don't have the option, users can't choose it.
I'm sure i won't be the only one to use it. Besides, having options is much better than not having them.

(If i had the money, i wouldn't be here... i would buy the RCS wich has this option and my "problem" was solved.
And you wouldn't have to put up with me. The reality is that i'm poor and i'm here, but just trying to improve... i really don't want to bother.)
 
Top