Skype convos when mic button is off

johngrant

This was helpful:

http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php?topic=2323.0

But I would like to chat with skypers during breaks, etc., when the mic is off.  They can hear me, but I can't hear them.  A second instance of the Virtual Audio Cable renders a bad echo.

Thanks.

Maybe just don't turn off the mic?
Second audio-repeater which transfers sound from Line1 to a real output device should make you hear Skype conversation all the time.

djsoft said:
Maybe just don't turn off the mic?
Second audio-repeater which transfers sound from Line1 to a real output device should make you hear Skype conversation all the time.

If I play a song or go to a commercial break, I'd like to take the mic off the air so we can talk. 

So I can use VAC to transfer sound, to say, a headset other than the one I use to broadcast?

You should add audio repeater which transfers sound from "Line-1" (or whatever device/line you selected in the Skype's "Speakers" settings) to any sound card output.
Eg. in the repeater settings set:
Wave in = Line 1
Wave out = sound card output where your headset is connected.

This is untested, but I'm sure it will work :)

djsoft said:
You should add audio repeater which transfers sound from "Line-1" (or whatever device/line you selected in the Skype's "Speakers" settings) to any sound card output.
Eg. in the repeater settings set:
Wave in = Line 1
Wave out = sound card output where your headset is connected.

This is untested, but I'm sure it will work :)

Thanks...I use a USB device with a mixer and headphone monitor. My mic goes through the mixer. I tried patching line 1 back into the USB device but it was echo city.  I'll see if I can deal with an alternate arrangement for a headset.

I LOVE this product.  Makes me feel like I was back in radio 30 years ago.

johngrant said:
Thanks...I use a USB device with a mixer and headphone monitor. My mic goes through the mixer. I tried patching line 1 back into the USB device but it was echo city.  I'll see if I can deal with an alternate arrangement for a headset.
Do you hear yourself back, or is it a noise echo (sound recursion)?
To make things easier, you should have separate sound card for Skype monitoring and use it as a "Wave out" device in the audio repeater as I wrote in the post above.

johngrant said:

djsoft said:
johngrant said:
Do you hear yourself back, or is it a noise echo (sound recursion)?
To make things easier, you should have separate sound card for Skype monitoring and use it as a "Wave out" device in the audio repeater as I wrote in the post above.

johngrant said:

OK, and sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere, but how do I deal with the latency of moitoring RB output, if my skype will be realtime?

To lower the latency, open the playback device settings and either:
- switch to ASIO driver if your sound card is ASIO-capable (when you select the ASIO driver you should see your sound card in the "devices" list).
- if you don't have ASIO support and you're using Windows Vista or later, switch to WASAPI driver and set buffer size to 50ms

One more little nasty.  I seem to be getting some clipping on my local mic when in Skype.  It shows up as "overflors" in the Virtual Audio Cable panel.  I have tried letting Skype automatically adjust the mic volume, this seems to help.  Also upping the buffer to say, 200, seems to avoid the clips.

Does this make sense?

Yes, in case of sound problems you should increase the buffer size (especailly if you see buffer underflows in the VAC panel), so I think your solution is correct.

Back