No latency sound output in RadioBOSS

djsoft

Staff member
Starting from version 4.3 RadioBOSS supports no-delay sound output. This feature is especially important when using a microphone and doing live broadcasts.

Any sound card and Windows Vista, Windows 7
Configuring the program:
1. Open the ?Playback? section in the program settings.
2. Select ?No sound? in the "Primary output" field.
3. Find ?Additional outputs? a bit below and click ?Add??.
4. Select output method: WASAPI and a sound card. You can also change the default buffer size: default is 50 ms (0.05 sec).
4. Click OK and restart RadioBOSS.

Another way:
ASIO-capable sound card and any Windows version
1. Open the ?Playback? section in the program settings.
2. Select ?No sound? in the "Primary output" field.
3. Find ?Additional outputs? a bit below and click ?Add??.
4. Select output method: ASIO, select sound card and channels (left and right).
4. Click OK and restart RadioBOSS.

The result should look like this:

Attachments

• 26.07.png
    26.07.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,127
I have been experiencing this problem. I use a Logitech USB headset and have no control over it. I will try a regular headset with my internal sound card and see if this technique works.

I am using another computer in an experiment using your suggested settings and it's not working. I am using an M-audio sound card on an XP machine using ASIO drivers. I still get the annoying latency (delay). I can direct monitor off the outboard mixer I use and essentially bypass the delay, but it requires me to select back and forth on my outboard mixer in order to monitor the music I play.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated!

What size of delay do you get? Even when using ASIO there'll be some delay (it's low-latencty, not "no-latency" system) - about 10ms or less. It's impossible to hear such a delay.
But, if you get about 0.5 sec or more, there's something wrong in the settings.
Please check that:
1) you selected the "No sound" device in the main output. This is very important, as DirectSound output will create the latency (equal to "buffer size" setting below).
2) the card you use for ASIO should not be selected in the "Prelisten output"
3) remove all "auxiliary outputs" except for ASIO one, maybe one of those outputs is the cause

I get a large delay, at least 0.5 or more. Both the main output and the pre-listen is set to "No sound"

I am only using one Auxiliary output, the one outlined in your original post.

Screen shots of what I have:

Attachments

• set-1.jpg
    set-1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,580
  • set-2.jpg
    set-2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,316
  • set-3.jpg
    set-3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,531
Settings are correct.
Currently RadioBOSS supports only ASIO output, not input. So you can still get a delay when speaking to microphone (20-100ms).
ASIO input is planned to be added soon (next week).

What does everyone else do? I cant be the only one with this problem?

My other DJ has a simple laptop with a USB headset mic and gets the same delay, I doubt they are using ASIO drivers?

I have done internet radio in the past using winamp and never had this issue.

There are actually many people asked about this. So we finally decided to add ASIO input in the next update.

Winamp definitely doesn't support ASIO input. How did you use mic in Winamp?

I do it the same way I use it with radio Boss. When I used winamp, it's been a year or more, I do not believe we were going through an Icecast server, I didn't need to install anything extra on it for it to work. I didn't have my own radio server then, I used a friends and I don't know who he went through.

Since I now have my own server and it's Icecast and I needed compatible software, I decided on radio Boss, because I liked the layout and ease of use.

It works great, only issue is the latency.

The new version with ASIO/WASAPI input is in development now. It will be released soon.
I still don't believe that it's possible to use microphone in Winamp without latency. The only way it's possible, is when you use sound card "Stereo Mix" as broadcasting source, and use sound card's mic monitoring.

I look forward to the ASIO driver.

I find it insulting that you are basically calling me a liar about no delay using winamp. I can tell you they had around 10 radio hosts and not one had that problem. Some used Winamp, some used SAM, no problems.

Sorry, I should've said "I can't believe" instead "I don't believe". The ASIO input will be ready soon, working on it right now.

I should explain exactly how I had my setup when I use to stream via: Shoutcast using Winamp. Maybe there is something I am doing that should be changed in my settings for Radio Boss?

I use an M-Audio PCI based soundcard. It has RCA L&R outputs and Inputs.

I use a Behringer 6 channel mixer.

I go from the Main out's on the mixer to the RCA inputs on the M-Audio card.

I go from the M-Audio outputs to the CD/Tape inputs on the mixer. There is a switch on the mixer that sends the Tape/CD to the Control room mix.

In Winamp there is a selection for the Input, you can choose "Winamp" or "Sound card"

When I wanted to stream my voice through the microphone, I would select "Sound Card". When I wanted to stream a song, I would select "Winamp"

I never had to use the "Push to talk" mic button, because basically when I was set to sound card, every sound on my computer went out on the stream.

I could monitor the music, hear my voice all without any latency or delay at all. I could take Skype calls, do whatever I wanted.

If Radio Boss has a way to set this up exactly the same way, I am all ears!

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing info!
Currently we're creating a program which will work this way. It'll be published in the beta version category very soon (program called RadioCaster).
The idea is simple: program captures signal from sound card (everything what's played on this card) and sends it to Shoutcast server.
I see, it's similar to setup you used with Winamp.

ptradio said:
Where is the development of this? Virtual Audio Cables are not easy to set up.
RadioCaster beta is here: http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,848.0.html

indieradionetwork said:
How does this work in 4.9 with the same scenario?
It's still the same, as said in the first post: to get rid of latency, use either ASIO or WASAPI. The Settings window now looks different, but it's generally the same: select ASIO or WASAPI for the Main sound card in Settings->Playback->Devices.

Back