RadioBOSS 4.7.7 + AdScheduler [dev]

djsoft

Staff member
RadioBOSS 4.7.7

New:
1. Ads Scheduler now included in RadioBOSS. Program is available in Standard and Advanced editions.
To start Ads Scheduler, in the menu click: Tool->Ads Scheduler

What is Ad Scheduler and short manual on how to use it: http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,3053.0.html

2. Reworked streaming. It solves many issues like disconnects, chopped sound, slow track switching, ...

Download
RadioBOSS 4.7.7: http://dl.djsoft.net/beta/radioboss_setup_4.7.7.0_b.exe (4.7.7.0, 16.10.2012, 19Mb)

nelson c said:
no plans for that advertising has an independent programmer?, because that's very confusing.
What does "independent programmer" mean?

Action Radio 95.1 said:
can you add the option to set the playlist level just like in radio boss.
Yes, this will be added in the next update.

First: Is this RB version for daily use?
Second: Ads Scheduler looks very complicated to use (even) for me. I tried but I it is not facile for me.

pety said:
First: Is this RB version for daily use?
It's not a beta... but it's not a release too. Sometimes developers call it "Nightly build'. In my opinion it's safe to use.

Besides adding AdScheduler, couple of bugs were fixed in this version:
- playlist auto-scroll when file is dragged from Explorer, Search or Report.
- bug fixed: "use task name as track title" - sometimes it didn't work
- rare crash in Segue Editor fixed

pety said:
Second: Ads Scheduler looks very complicated to use (even) for me. I tried but I it is not facile for me.
What part of it you think is complicated? Setting up blocks, adding adverticements, assigning ads to blocks? This could be changed - software is still under development.
AFAIK, most ad managers are [over]complicated. The one included in RB is a toy compared to the ones I saw...

djsoft said:
nelson c said:
no plans for that advertising has an independent programmer?, because that's very confusing.
What does "independent programmer" mean?
for example, you could put a dividing line in the event list: one would be the common events (for example, generate a list of Playlists generator), and on the other advertising events.
Currently besides being disorganized to have both events together (and confusing as it seamlessly blend in the list both), every time you have to load the list of events for advertising, you have to re-create all the other events ..

otherwise my idea of ??an icon with a "$" to identify advertising easier in the list, it will be implemented? :)

nelson c said:
otherwise my idea of ??an icon with a "$" to identify advertising easier in the list, it will be implemented? :)
Yes, I liked the idea, the $ sign will be used in the Scheduler window (I'm not sure about playlist though).

For event list, expect it to be improved too :) A new feature will be added to hide/show Ad events. As those events are created automatically, there's no much need to view or edit them manually. A single Ad Event will only appear when it's supposed to start.

Hi,

It's clever but that's right it takes some time to figure out ho to schedule ads. You have to setup "Block" on a few hours and at least 2 ads (left part) to see the schedule table (middle part). Then you can click inside the scedule table to affect ads to various day and time.

It generates playlists accordinly to what is selected, including Intro and outro files. There is a Enents.sdl but ads does not seem to be inserted in the RB program !!! They are not played!

keep the 1st line fixed, not in the table, otherwise when scrolling down you cannot see days anymore.

Priority refer to ordering ads when more than 1 ad is selected for a specific adbreak ?

Will the "active, start & end" also refer to a ad ? Maybe you should move those properties (active, start, end, priority) on the left of the interface in the "Ads" block and not in the "Select Ads properties" block .

Geolocalisation targeting with DTMF trigger !?
How will it be possible to affect different content to different encoders? In need that type of thing to broadcast proper content in the apropriate langage.
How to you plan to enable this ?

You can also remove the 2 options "Closer to 1st or second track" in the VT settings.

Christian

The integration between AdScheduler and RB is not deep yet. A feature to export/update events to RB will be added soon to streamline the process. The work process would be like this: add ads, assign them to blocks, click a button - events and playlists are created, events are added to RB event list and ready to be aired. Adding or removing single ad from air will take 10 seconds.

Priority determines the position in the block. Track with priority = 1 will be closer to the beginning of the block than track with priority = 3.

Active, Start and End options refer to single Ad. For instance, someone pays you to run their ad from 12.10.2012 to 19.10.2012 - you can set start/end dates and forget about it. Just update the playlists/events from time to time. "Active" allows to enable/disable an ad - if you want to keep an Ad in the list but don't want it appear in the block, uncheck the option. Note: those options are not implemented yet.

DTMF is planned for RB 4.8. This update is about Ad Scheduler, some bug fixes and improvements. Eg. multi-threaded streaming will be added to solve annoying problems like slow track switching when there are too many encoders set or when slow network connection breaks the sound.

Hi Dmitry,

I just want to take the opportunity to share with you and other RB users my thoughts about advertisement management as a webradio manager. Maybe this could help you in developing the software.
When looking at my audience, it is spread all over the world mainly in USA, France, Canada but also in Germany, Brazil, UK, middle east countries, ?
When playing an Ad, I would like to offer the announcer the possibility to target the correct country just like it is possible to display Ads targeting visitors by their location on a web site.
Another important thing is to be able to report how many listeners heard the Ad. Once again having the same behavior that Ad display on a web site, ie counting the number of impressions.  When an Ad starts it is just a matter of counting the number of listeners connected to streaming servers.
When the DTMF tool will be available it will then be possible to broadcast Ads by location and then to target listeners country by country.  One country corresponds to one stream on the Icecast Server.
This could also be used to broadcast local information such as local weather forecast.
Once again counting the number of impression country by country (stream by stream) is important.

Note: If impression counting is not included in RB Ad manager, this can be done by a script on a web server. The ?http request? in RB can trigger the script. If an Ad is detected then the script counts the number of listeners on streaming server and updates a database.

Christian
http://clubbingstation.com

Thank for your input, Christian.

We've already talked about geo-targeting in another topic - I think this problem is outside of AD scheduler. DTMF is planned for RB 4.8, so it's not too much time until it's released... Probably in December... Will be available earlier as beta version.

Impression count is interecting topic. Maybe this'll go as additional feature for Ad Scheduler in later versions. Currently the task is: provide an easy and fast way to create and schedule Ad playlists.
The idea with HTTP script looks very good to me - it doesn't require any modifications in RB :)

Update RadioBOSS 4.7.7a

Changes:
- Updated help system
- Reworked streaming: now all work is done in separate threads.

The issues some people experienced, like:
* Sudden disconnects
* Slow track switching
* 'Chopped' sound
* Buffering on listener side
* ... and the like
Are now gone.

Download: http://dl.djsoft.net/beta/radioboss_setup_4.7.7.0_a.exe

Update RadioBOSS 4.7.7b

Changes:
- fixed several broadcasting-related bugs

Download: http://dl.djsoft.net/beta/radioboss_setup_4.7.7.0_b.exe

Finally today I learned to use it (AdScheduler) and I find it very useful.
Works great!

pety said:
Finally today I learned to use it (AdScheduler) and I find it very useful.
Works great!
That's good! Please post any comments regarding AdScheduler, so we'll make it better.

i am trying to find the instructions on how to use the ads scheduler but still unable to find it. i know i am doing something wrong in the setup because i still can't get it  to play in RB. can anybody point me in the right direction. thanks

There's a little instruction: http://www.djsoft.net/smf/index.php/topic,3053.msg9647.html#msg9647

Back