Does auto dj re-encode? Can .flac be used?

JFrankParnell

In the autodj settings, you have to set up your encoder, format, bitrate, etc.  Does this mean that it re-encodes mp3s?  In other words, it doesnt just stream the mp3, as is?  Can I upload .flac files, to prevent that?

JFrankParnell said:
In the autodj settings, you have to set up your encoder, format, bitrate, etc.  Does this mean that it re-encodes mp3s?  In other words, it doesnt just stream the mp3, as is?  Can I upload .flac files, to prevent that?
It re-encodes everything, mp3, flac, ... Converting your mp3s to FLAC and then streaming them won't improve the quality.

djsoft said:
Converting your mp3s to FLAC and then streaming them won't improve the quality.

Well, yeah; no, I wouldnt do that.  However, I have much of my music already in flac (cd->flac).  It is more a question of space on my auto dj account. 

So, flac->mp3 isnt really 're-encoding' or I guess it's not re-encoding lossy.  If I upload mp3s, there would be 2 lossy encodes: cd->mp3->autodj->wav->mp3, instead of one: cd->flac->autodj->wav->mp3.  Yeah?

JFrankParnell said:
Well, yeah; no, I wouldnt do that.  However, I have much of my music already in flac (cd->flac).  It is more a question of space on my auto dj account. 
If there's not enough space, we can increase it (for free) - please contact support@radioboss.fm if you find that there's no enough space on your account.

JFrankParnell said:
So, flac->mp3 isnt really 're-encoding' or I guess it's not re-encoding lossy.  If I upload mp3s, there would be 2 lossy encodes: cd->mp3->autodj->wav->mp3, instead of one: cd->flac->autodj->wav->mp3.  Yeah?
Yes, correct. The FLAC source will be a better source for streaming in terms of quality, so if it's possible in your case, you should use flac files. Please make sure that AutoDJ reads them correctly (both audio content and tags) - I recall support tickets where some flac files failed to work.

ok, I uploaded some flacs...dont work.  In the file manager, it says Unknown/Binary file.  They are wavs, converted with dbPoweramp to flac.  The have tags in them.

JFrankParnell said:
ok, I uploaded some flacs...dont work.  In the file manager, it says Unknown/Binary file.  They are wavs, converted with dbPoweramp to flac.  The have tags in them.
Can you please send one of the flac files to support@djsoft.net so that we can test it here?

Back