Has Anyone Decided To Stop Broadcasting Because Of Higher Fees?

hymnsinger

Hello. I was wondering if anyone else that visits here and broadcasts from the USA or Canada has decided to stop broadcasting because of the new higher fees for playing copyrighted music.
I have decided to stop broadcasting music as of midnight tonight, New Years eve, and may just do some podcasting in the hopes that the fees someday may become affordable again.
Thanks.

Jim

New licensing fees apply for US and Canada broadcasters I believe, so moving station outside of US urisdiction is one of the possible solutions to the problem.

djsoft said:
New licensing fees apply for US and Canada broadcasters I believe, so moving station outside of US urisdiction is one of the possible solutions to the problem.

Right, Dmitry. How do you set up outside either of those countries if you live in the US or Canada, like I do, and is that ethical?

hymnsinger said:
Right, Dmitry. How do you set up outside either of those countries if you live in the US or Canada, like I do, and is that ethical?
Ethics is a question, of course, and it's up to you to decide. Big companies sometimes move their businesses to other countries to pay less taxes (IIRC, Google did this).

Back